All Things Habitat - Lets talk.....

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Stock Market is the bottom in?

I am young enough that this 4 year blip in the stock market won’t hurt me long term. But for those that are in their retirement age this is going to hurt. I heard $2.5 million is what you need to retire now.

Shits gettin real !

We usually dump about 90K into our retirement fund here at work in late November. It's looking like there will be some good buys. The market will climb back up eventually. I'm only 40. Didn't have much in my account in 08 so that didn't hurt much. This go around is setting me back a bit but like mentioned above...

I am young enough that this 4 year blip in the stock market won’t hurt me long term. But for those that are in their retirement age this is going to hurt. I heard $2.5 million is what you need to retire now.

When social security was introduced, average life expectancy after retirement was 5-6 years. Now people are living longer and trying to retire early.

There are a lot of folks who retired early the past 2 years who are now scared shiztless. Inflation, market/401k values dropping, and high energy costs are killing their estimated living costs and available funds.

With the White House in denial and actually doing things to damage the economy ... gonna be a real interesting few years.

How do you invest in a Banana republic? Coming here soon....I fear.
These are the times my left pocket/right pocket scheme comes in handy. And cash. Cash has been a good place to hide.

In hindsight, it makes sense. When the fed was printing like an army of coin shavers, the right play was to convert that cash to un-fakeable assets immediately (stocks, real estate, capital equipment). In reverse now, the opposite seems to be the case. As the fed burns piles of cash, there's no place for asset values to go but down.

Fun fact, in the middle ages, coin shaving was punishable by death. Now we call it modern monetary theory and beg for it to be done to us.

These are the times my left pocket/right pocket scheme comes in handy. And cash. Cash has been a good place to hide.

In hindsight, it makes sense. When the fed was printing like an army of coin shavers, the right play was to convert that cash to un-fakeable assets immediately (stocks, real estate, capital equipment). In reverse now, the opposite seems to be the case. As the fed burns piles of cash, there's no place for asset values to go but down.

Fun fact, in the middle ages, coin shaving was punishable by death. Now we call it modern monetary theory and beg for it to be done to us.

When the right play is losing 9% annually to inflation, it sucks.

We're pretty heavy in cash right now and it just feels wrong holding it when it's losing value this fast.

When the right play is losing 9% annually to inflation, it sucks.

We're pretty heavy in cash right now and it just feels wrong holding it when it's losing value this fast.
We're eating inflation whether we're invested or not. In a market like this I think you've gotta just shelve inflation expectations and take cover. I think this thing is gonna blow no matter what the fed does. Seems the only things that move efficiently on earth right now are vaccines and guns for the boys in the Azov Battalion.

I typically get a bolus of bonus/equity in the spring and plow that largely into my mutual fund (retirement). This year I held it back. I saw no way the market wasn't going down. So, I'm just going to sit on it in cash and see what happens. If stocks tank I'll put it in when I think it's low enough. If I somehow completely misjudge, I can throw it at the mortgage. Inflation doesn't affect that, dollars against the mortgage 6 months from now are the same as today. I made a pretty penny in 2020 holding on for awhile as COVID tanked the market. I didn't go in at the bottom, but I made three investments on the way down and it all turned out very well.

I will remind us here.....there is a BIG reason that the alternative currencies (like bitcoins or gold) are being touted......The American dollar is being printed and distributed via screwy Democrat policies (and the Republicans are not much better). Not sure when it will end. We are not far from a point where our economy drifts into a banana republic situation....IMO. Venezuela? ....not fr off. We got a government that has no clue how to fix this economy....and only pile bad policy on top of bad decisions. Until we start making concerte plans for the future....we are goona see turmoil in the markets. my 2 cents.

I feel fortunate to "only" be off 15% YTD.....but who knows what happens next? It's like a bad soap opera.

I will remind us here.....there is a BIG reason that the alternative currencies (like bitcoins or gold) are being touted......The American dollar is being printed and distributed via screwy Democrat policies (and the Republicans are not much better). Not sure when it will end. We are not far from a point where our economy drifts into a banana republic situation....IMO. Venezuela? ....not fr off. We got a government that has no clue how to fix this economy....and only pile bad policy on top of bad decisions. Until we start making concerte plans for the future....we are goona see turmoil in the markets. my 2 cents.

I feel fortunate to "only" be off 15% YTD.....but who knows what happens next? It's like a bad soap opera.

It is all relative. I don't see many alternatives to the dollar that are any better off. Yes, printing money causes inflation, but look at inflation in most of the world right now.

I'm sure looking forward to November when I'm hoping we will see divided government again. I hope it stays that way for a long time!

It is all relative. I don't see many alternatives to the dollar that are any better off. Yes, printing money causes inflation, but look at inflation in most of the world right now.

I'm sure looking forward to November when I'm hoping we will see divided government again. I hope it stays that way for a long time!
MOST of the world revolves on the value of the AMERICAN DOLLAR. We ARE the world money supply and economy....and when America has as much as a belly ache....much of the rest of the world will start shitting tacks. My 2 cents.

We (Americans) are the free market. The Democrats are not in the free world's interests at this point in time. My 2 cents. November can not come soon enough for me.....nor can 2024.

The real problem is the US dollar is the world oil currency but that could change it used to be the pound and the British where hurt terribly when they lost that status and we took it over. Guess who would love to gain that status…….China guess who is most likely in their pocket……Brandon. I think everything he is doing to intentionally harm us and destabilize our money supply is according to the puppet masters plan sadly that’s not in the US’s best interest. It’s getting so painful to watch any video footage of the Brandon puppet I’ve had to stop watching them it makes me sick to my stomach that this fool is paraded out in front of us as the elected president at this point. He isn’t capable of choosing what pudding to eat let alone run the executive branch.

There is a bright spot in all this for former President Carter he is officially no longer the worst president ever Brandon owns that title no question.

The real problem is the US dollar is the world oil currency but that could change it used to be the pound and the British where hurt terribly when they lost that status and we took it over. Guess who would love to gain that status…….China guess who is most likely in their pocket……Brandon. I think everything he is doing to intentionally harm us and destabilize our money supply is according to the puppet masters plan sadly that’s not in the US’s best interest. It’s getting so painful to watch any video footage of the Brandon puppet I’ve had to stop watching them it makes me sick to my stomach that this fool is paraded out in front of us as the elected president at this point. He isn’t capable of choosing what pudding to eat let alone run the executive branch.
I could not agree more. Well said.

81+ million votes.... Brandon couldnt fill the parking lot at Biscay liquors but we are supposed to believe that he got over 81 million votes. Obama could fill stadiums and got 69 million votes in 2008, and around 65 million in 2012. Only 26% approval with Hispanics. They are sick of this kid sniffer and his high ass inflation. What a moron.

Capture.PNG

Inflation doesn't affect that, dollars against the mortgage 6 months from now are the same as today.

I don't think that's accurate. The value of your mortgage will decrease over time. Inflation shrinks debt the same way it shrinks capital. The absolute last place I would ever put my money in times of high inflation is toward my mortgage.