Stand access help

Prelude8626

5 year old buck +
All. Below is a picture of some of our property. The blue shows old atv trails that where previously there. The green shows a small plot we put in a old tree landing. To the right we have a low creek/wetland (yellow line). with oak ridges on both sides. The bottom is probably 50 yards across. Would you use this bottom to access the food plot? Or use the trails, I do know the deer cross the bottom but don’t stay there. Pictures are of the bottom.

Attachments

• 37671FED-CF5D-4BB1-9164-77B58DB1DBB7.jpeg
    37671FED-CF5D-4BB1-9164-77B58DB1DBB7.jpeg
    636.1 KB · Views: 29
  • B5915227-4CA5-481C-9092-1CA609F667D2.jpeg
    B5915227-4CA5-481C-9092-1CA609F667D2.jpeg
    664.2 KB · Views: 46
  • 4DB37774-4C20-4EFA-B7D5-D20A1B22949F.jpeg
    4DB37774-4C20-4EFA-B7D5-D20A1B22949F.jpeg
    301.3 KB · Views: 51
Without fully understanding how deer use the property it’s really hard to say. I always take the shortest route with the most favorable route that’s least likely to spook deer...those access routes change based on the weather and time of day I’m accessing stands. The pictures you have look like that area is pretty thick. I’m almost wondering if you could create some sort of a screen by hinging some of those trees and creating a bit of a wall...that’s assuming the prevailing wind works for that direction and deer don’t generally bed in that area.

This is going to sound really dumb. Go sit where you think/know where the deer are bedding. Have a buddy use the stand access you describe. Then see who sees who first! This is the same game the deer play with us, just remember they hear and smell far better than we do. If the deer see, hear or smell you...you are educating them and helping them pattern your movements....your element of surprise is compromised.

Doesn't sound dumb to me

Whenever I find a bedding spot, I always crouch down and look around

i then ask myself, "Now,why would Mr Big bed his big ass here?"

bill

This is going to sound really dumb. Go sit where you think/know where the deer are bedding. Have a buddy use the stand access you describe. Then see who sees who first! This is the same game the deer play with us, just remember they hear and smell far better than we do. If the deer see, hear or smell you...you are educating them and helping them pattern your movements....your element of surprise is compromised.
Actually sounds like a good idea! The problem is I know the deer are going up behind the houses to bed, deer normally bed up higher and feel they would peg me walking up the ditch.

Actually sounds like a good idea! The problem is I know the deer are going up behind the houses to bed, deer normally bed up higher and feel they would peg me walking up the ditch.
That's the type of info you have to use to your advantage. If you KNOW where they are bedding and you KNOW where you want to go...then you have to figure out how to get in/out without them seeing, hearing or smelling you in the process. This is why you simply can't hunt some stands with particular wind directions or you have to implement some sort of screening project to hide your activity. This is why access and stand placement are 2 totally different things. Sure you may have a killer stand location...but can you get in/out without educating the deer in the process? If your route to/from the stand allows the wind to carry your scent to the deer or for the deer to see you...they will quickly pattern you. I realize it isn't as simple as it sounds...but these are the things the "experts" write about and try to get us to think more tactically about where we make improvements and how WE can best utilize them vs just tossing stuff out there and THEN try to figure out how to hunt it...

So.........

Prelude's plot is near center of layout

Access seems problematic without getting busted by every deer en route

Are there viable options?

bill

So.........

Prelude's plot is near center of layout

Access seems problematic without getting busted by every deer en route

Are there viable options?

bill
I don't think we know enough about the entire picture to answer that question. Which is to Dukslayr's point. That is why my comments are so general in nature. Its VERY difficult to assess the situation entirely without a lot of info...in my opinion the best way is boots on the ground. Like I also stated...sometimes you simply bite the bullet and deal with it. You may not have a "perfect" option. Then all you can do is try to define the "best" option which should include educating as few deer as possible. That is what many of us have to do. We work as best we can with what we have.

My suggestion would be to identify where the deer are bedding...and then consider the various wind directions based on your access route (which could be different per different winds) and then simply try to NOT allow the wind to carry your scent to the deer AND if possible if the deer have a visual advantage over your route, then you will need to either thicken the cover or implement some sort of visual screen along the route.

Example... If he chooses to use the blue path to the plot and the deer are bedded on either side of the yellow strip. The last thing he wants to do is then hunt this spot when the wind is coming from the west, southwest or south (assuming N is up). The ideal wind for that would be from the North, Northeast and east. BUT...if there is a lot of bedding west and south of the plot...then things change. If the bedding is in both...then things become very difficult as you essentially then would need a wind from the NW or SE. Depending on cover density, he may need to thicken along the East and North side of the path or the opposite side or both...again depending on where the deer are and what his history and scouting and the like tell him.

J-Bird said it correctly. We just used an old landing to make a small plot to kind of get things rolling. We will be doing some TSI this coming winter and that problem will be fixed.

J-Bird said it correctly. We just used an old landing to make a small plot to kind of get things rolling. We will be doing some TSI this coming winter and that problem will be fixed.

Before you start swinging a saw....make CERTAIN you have a good/solid plan based on your hunting efforts with your access and stand locations in the forefront of your mind. You can undo decades of mother natures work with a saw and make mistakes that could take decades to recover from. Swinging a saw can create new food sources, provide cover for the deer and you, but it won't change the wind. Screening cover on your access route can help you from being detected....but the wind. Not much can save you from the wrong wind....not from a deer's nose!