Spread and Spray Question

Bucks&Ducks

5 year old buck +
Havent been on here in a long time but I ran into an issue

Due to tractor problems, I was only able to disc about 3 acres. It is far from a clean seed bed but I plan on spreading rye and clover, dragging, then spraying. I also plan on doing this to 2 small kill plots.

Here is my question, I have 7 more acres that were part of my plans and are currently fallow. I also need to address the thistles in this section. Should I spread, drag and spray the remaining 7 acres with rye and clover? Should I just spray with 2-4D to adress the thistles and worry about planting next year? Any other ideas? My hesitation is that seems like a lot of acres and seed cost to spread and spray.

I would plant it in Rye and Radishes yet this year after spraying to kill everything off. Next year I would go with RR soybeans in the spring and then over seed with your rye and clover mix. I would think if you go that rout your plots will work up really nice next spring and you will have a good handle on the weed competition for the future clover planting.

I've come to despise Canada thistle. And, as far as I know, most of the really effective thistle herbicides have soil residue that limits follow up planting of broadleaf crops. Grasses (and grains?) Can be planted. Rye, oats, or wheat might be the way to go until you get a good, root kill of the thistle. That crap just keeps coming back unless you kill the entire root system...easier said than done.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Thanks guys. Ive had constant tractor issues last 3 years and have become really frustrated. Hoping to get back on track soon.