Spraying thistles

Stinger does well around trees.

Impressive stuff

Thanks for the clarification smsmith. I just went by what my coop manager told me today without looking at the label as I called him to ask what I used 2 years ago as I found a spot of the can. thistles on a different farm.

I got great results so far with 1.5 oz 41% gly per gallon, not sure what thistle it was, but it was fixing to have lots of 3/4 inch purple flowers when I sprayed. dang stuff was 4 to 5 feet tall. Gold finch are going to be mad at me as they love the seeds.

20140702_110250_zpsdvfrjubz.jpg

I got great results so far with 1.5 oz 41% gly per gallon, not sure what thistle it was, but it was fixing to have lots of 3/4 inch purple flowers when I sprayed. dang stuff was 4 to 5 feet tall. Gold finch are going to be mad at me as they love the seeds.

They'll forgive ya if you trade them for sunflower seed.

I don't always have the best price on everything, so I tell everyone to shop around. There is always someone that sells something cheaper. West Branch says my Buddy Dan at the Moose Lake Coop has some great prices on Food Plot Seed. I did not even know that he sold them! Check them out if you are in the area. I don't know if they ship, maybe West Branch can let us know!

I will try to remember to ask about their chemical prices when I get over there again. I picked up some generic gly there a couple months ago for my brother but I had his checkbook so I wasn't paying attention to prices. I would be surprised if they ship, but I was also surprised by their prices and variety of food plot seed they have available so who knows.

Just sharing my experience and perspective. I think spraying glyphosate for thistles is a losing strategy. The glyphosate smoked the aboveground portions of the thistle (looks to be canada thistle which has an extensive root system and spreads by runners and root fragments), but it will be back either from root or from the seed bank. BUT now the competition is killed also. So unless you get something established in there quickly (cover crop + perennial vegetation) the thistles will come back and potentially be worse than ever.

Most of our invasive/noxious weeds rely on disturbances and "unhappy" or degraded ecosystems to thrive... which means that if you can maintain healthy perennial cover, the weeds won't be that big of an issue.

Long story short: Keep the grass cover healthy and limit collateral damage by using a broad-leaf specific herbicide to control the thistles. Milestone or Transline would be preferred. Garlon or 2,4D would okay, otherwise.

-Matt

you can barely tell but that is a clover plot that will be back in two weeks, I am hoping to stop more seed production from the thistle and slow it down a bit. If I could have, I would have mowed it at the 2 to 3 foot stage, but did not catch it in time.

Gotcha. That's a harder problem to deal with. Repetitive mowing... like you said, would be ideal.

-Matt

So I sprayed half of my property for thistles and I thought I'd give an update. I mixed approx 1/2 to 3/4 of a pint of generic stinger to my 30 gallon sprayer and after a few weeks the thistles are slightly bent over but definitely appear to have life. A lot of work and time for not a very good result. I now am mixing 1 1/2 pints per 30 gallons and saw much better results. Just thought I'd give a heads up on the mixing rate so no one makes the same mistake. The thing that sucks is most are still going to seed after the light dose.