spraying RR soybeans

bueller

How long after planting does everyone normally spray their RR soybeans? Is one spraying enough or should I be expecting to spray multiple times?

I try to do it 3-4 weeks after planting. How many times you need to spray is relative. Did you plant in 11" rows or 30" rows? How long will it take for the beans to canopy cutting off sunlight to the soil/weeds. How bad are your weeds? I almost always spray beans two times, even on 13" rows that I normally plant. Corn I can get away with one time, but beans take longer to canopy. If you are ok with some weeds in your beans you can get away with one time spraying, just wait until week 4-5 and hit it once. I HATE weeds, so I am over the top on spraying sometimes.

I sprayed these (the cover crop) a few days after I drilled the beans. I will check it out 3-4 weeks after planting and see what I have for weeds and will spray if I have some. I planted on 7.5" rows so I doubt I will have to spray again.

IMG_2417.jpgIMG_2419.jpg

I wait until the weeds start to challenge the beans and the beans are just able to go under the tractor without damage. I tend to spray once as the beans will then canopy and that pretty much takes care of things (15" rows). I may have to spot spray with my wand after that, but once typically is enough. Beans will tolerate some weeds as well, so you don;t have to kill all the weeds. However many of the weeds that com eon later you really want to control......pigweed comes to mind.

For me it really depends on conditions. I don't spray based on the beans, I spray based on the weeds. When the weeds hit 3 or 4 inches I spray.

Thanks,

Jack

This weekend will be 3 weeks since I planted. If I don't spray I won't be able to get back up there until the 5 week mark at the earliest. First time planting beans so this is all new to me.

The herbicide label will tell you how far along your beans need to be before you spray. If it’s been dry or cool, germination might be delayed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This weekend will be 3 weeks since I planted. If I don't spray I won't be able to get back up there until the 5 week mark at the earliest. First time planting beans so this is all new to me.

I’d go prepared to spray, but if the weeds don’t warrant the application, then don’t. For me it all depends on how weeds are doing relative to beans.

I was always told 4 weeks by the neighboring farmers. Sometimes that doesn’t work out for me. I’ve done 4 weeks and as much as 7. Just spray more if the weeds are older.

Second spray for me depends on canopy. Sometimes I need to other times I don’t.

With beans it's easy to spray too late and hard to spray too early. I'd just get in the frame of mind that you should be spraying twice.

I spray twice. The first time I use my pull behind 55 gallon PTO Fimco sprayer with a 14 foot boom span. I do this at about week or two after planting. I do not damage to the emerging plants and get a good kill. For the second spraying, I hire out the local coop. They have a 60 foot boom on a pick up truck. I base the timing of the second spraying on the growth of the beans and the weeds. If I used my sprayer, I would be weary of doing to much damage to the soy beans. The pickup truck takes 25% fewer passes to get the same field done as my Fimco. The cost of the coop spraying the Roundup is not that bad

I get about 6' or so of coverage with my atv sprayer. I don't want to destroy the young plants. Is there a certain size of plant that I shouldn't drive over to spray?

Also I normally use 1.5 qts an acre with good results pre planting. Do I use this same rate or less post planting?

I broad cast my beans heavy and till them in. I only have ever sprayed them once and didnt have problems with weeds. They are thicker though so there is less room for weeds to grow. I usually figure if I spray when the weeds are 5-6" tall the beans will be canopied by the time anything that germinates after I spray has enough time to grow.

add ams to gly and surfactant for maximum effect. I put two quarts on an acre. I prefer hot to not and don't want to be the guy who creates more weed resistant varieties.

That seems high? Co-op told me they do 1qt/acre

It depends on the weeds you are trying to kill. Grasses don't take much but some other weeds do. Keep this in mind. If you spray light on a weed species that requires higher rates, you will kill of the portion of the population that is least resistant to glyphosate. Those that survive will have a higher percentage of resistance in their offspring than the general population would. Over time, this is how gly resistance develops in weeds that were previously susceptible to gly.

The key is knowing what your weeds are and following the recommended rates on the label for those weeds.

Thanks,

jack

add ams to gly and surfactant for maximum effect. I put two quarts on an acre. I prefer hot to not and don't want to be the guy who creates more weed resistant varieties.

Just to argue the other side of the coin, there are certain weeds that gly has never controlled. If your beans don't canopy (say due to browse pressure or weather), you have removed all of the competition from those weeds. They can then really take off and become a much bigger problem. I've had this happen with Marestail in my area. It was not all the fault of gly removing the competition and deer browsing the beans but that was a contributing factor. In my case, a recent pine thinning and controlled burn release marestail in the seed bank in the pines that went to seed and invaded my fields.

There are not easy or pat answers that work in all cases.

Thanks,

Jack

Mr. Jack,
Was the stand of pines where the marestail outbreak originated an old field or was it previously in timber?