Spraying Glyphosate After Seeding

James P. Bipps

5 year old buck +
A friend has 3 fields that he wants planted in rye. Some weeds are present. Would it work just as well to seed/cultipack/and spray vs spraying/ waiting for spray to dry/seeding/ then cultipacking?

Yes it will work.

Both should work to get the weeds killed. But.....

There is a difference between the 2. I would spray first and let dry for a couple hours. If you cultipack first, you run the risk of breaking off the weeds, thus not leaving any surface for entry point of the herbicide. I would rather have the herbicide on the plant for a couple of hours than not at all. Also you run the risk of rolling dust and dirt on the weed surface, that may limit the amount of herbicide contact points to enter the plant!JMO

Last edited:
I am with MO on this one. I would spray first - wait for the chemical to set (read the label as to how long that will take) and then broadcast. You can still pack if you want, but if it's just rye - I would consider just letting the rain do it's thing. I would not roll the weeds first and then spray - you won't get as good of a kill in my opinion.

I agree with Mo, spray first. I've done both and get a more "complete" kill when I spray first. Especially when spraying a field with tall or thick growth. Cultipacking first can cover some of the lower growth weeds/grass you want to kill with the taller and thicker weeds/grass, thus inhibiting the gly from making contact with the lower growth weeds/grass. Now if you were terminating tall rye with clover underneath I'd suggest you cultipack/roll before spraying.

The biggest thing to remember is he is probably spraying weeds that are too big and off normal label rates. I would make sure he using enough Glyphosate and 20 gal to the acre of water with AMS, to try and get as good of kill as possible.

Thanks everyone,

I was able to get all the plots planted. On mine I just needed to add rye to the previously planted oats, groundhog radish and red clover. On my friends, I seeded, cultipacked and sprayed. I did this mostly as a time saver. If I wouldn't have planted something for him, nothing would have been planted. I was checking with you guys to make sure it was safe to do so more than anything...thanks. By the way, his weeds were not too bad.