Split plots for monocultures or mix all in one plot

I've done that before in mixed plots and was planning on doing that with this one. Was thinking about adding some light sunflower or Egyptian wheat to add a little structure
What would you use for weed control? I use RR soybeans, spray at 3 to 4 weeks growth.

My brassica seed would just be hitting the dirt 3rd week of Aug. If I plant earlier than that they never seem to use them.

Do you actually get decent bulb/tuber growth that quick?

I
Do you actually get decent bulb/tuber growth that quick?
Yes I have great bulb growth. Size of softballs or close at least. I've never had a deer eat a bulb though. They only eat the tops off, which I believe becomes somewhat un-palatable if planted early and that's why they wont touch them if planted that early.
Just my theory, could be completely wrong.

You get that big of bulbs with about a month of growth?
Yessir, I could probably get some pics of them tonight when I get home, I'm sure the deer haven't touched them.

I

Yes I have great bulb growth. Size of softballs or close at least. I've never had a deer eat a bulb though. They only eat the tops off, which I believe becomes somewhat un-palatable if planted early and that's why they wont touch them if planted that early.
Most brassicas become more palatable after a good frost. You may be associating planting later makes them more palatable when in reality it is the frost that is making them more palatable.

Most brassicas become more palatable after a good frost. You may be associating planting later makes them more palatable when in reality it is the frost that is making them more palatable.
I get the frost no matter the plant date. Early plant dates equal the deer never touching them. Late plant dates and the deer demolish them.

Thinking back, this year were planted a week earlier than normal as we had a drought most the summer and I had a good chance of rain that week. Would have been about Aug 12th they went in the ground this year. Deer didn't touch them this year though.

Would normally be closer to the 20th.

Here are a a couple pictures of my brassica plot currently. These were planted Aug 10th. Which is about 1-2 weeks earlier than I usually plant them. Pretty rotten at this point.

0192110B-7062-42E4-95AF-748A4C8B107A.jpegA0A48065-E893-4E05-BF26-A93B312C915B.jpeg60768EFF-8954-4A00-8A42-C3E0A5E0CF33.jpeg

Here are a a couple pictures of my brassica plot currently. These were planted Aug 10th. Which is about 1-2 weeks earlier than I usually plant them. Pretty rotten at this point.

View attachment 41111View attachment 41112View attachment 41113

Nice. I didn't get anywhere close to that for bulbs on mine this year planted around 8/17 in a comparable zone. The deer at my place and my parents place in northern MN would have wiped out those bulbs.

Interesting that mine never eat the bulbs.

Exactly what brassicas are you planting?

What would you use for weed control? I use RR soybeans, spray at 3 to 4 weeks growth.
Since this is my first attempt with Soybeans, I didn't know whether going RR or not would be preferred. On the rare times I got a good stand of cowpeas, weeds were rarely a problem because of the canopy, I guess.

Interesting that mine never eat the bulbs.

Exactly what brassicas are you planting?

Various radishes and turnips. Mostly daikon radish and purple top turnip. I think my stepdad uses the frigid forage big n beasty mix but also uses others. I just used northwoods whitetail sweet feast mix last year.

Various radishes and turnips. Mostly daikon radish and purple top turnip. I think my stepdad uses the frigid forage big n beasty mix but also uses others. I just used northwoods whitetail sweet feast mix last year.
I’ll have to look at mine as I cannot recall the variety. Primal is the brand.

I

I was worried about them getting over mature/ unpalatable. Never happened. I planted these turnips 6/15/21. The bulbs are as big as a ballcap. The deer were hitting the bulbs and a little of the tops all summer. Really hit the bulbs heavy in October- now. There is 30 acres of standing corn across the road and they are digging thru 14 inches of snow to get the bulbs.

Attachments

• 1026211121.jpg
    1026211121.jpg
    445.9 KB · Views: 21
  • 0128221437a.jpg
    0128221437a.jpg
    135.5 KB · Views: 21
How many times did you fertilize them?
Only once at planting. I believe 50# 19-19- 19. 100# of urea per acre. Soil is 6.5- 7.0. I haven't plowed in at least 5 years. Soil test showed everything was optimum except potash was a little low. The turnips had plenty of room due to the thick mats of white clover not allowing the brassicas to grow. This is the worst spot of clover. Plot was wr, rolled, sprayed, and seeded.

Attachments

• 0904211640.jpg
    0904211640.jpg
    461.7 KB · Views: 28
Since this is my first attempt with Soybeans, I didn't know whether going RR or not would be preferred. On the rare times I got a good stand of cowpeas, weeds were rarely a problem because of the canopy, I guess.

Cowpeas... I've thought about trying them for a while now. Tell me more. How was your browse pressure? Was your growing season long enough for them to form pods?