Split plots for monocultures or mix all in one plot

WeedyJ

5 year old buck +
I have always planted my plots as 1 big mix, scattering the clover, oats, brassicas, peas etc. to cover the whole plot. Jeff Sturgis seems to favor splitting the plots and planting heavy brassicas along one side, then another crop adjacent to it.. I tried that last year, but did such a poor job of spraying to kill the grasses that my brassicas were eaten up with weeds and grass, which gave me only half the amount of food this year. Obviously I will prep better next year, but curious as to what everyone thinks about these techniques. I see so many awesome plots on here with none split.

Also, since I usually have brassicas scattered through my mixes, I end up planting brassicas in the same fields year after year. I know that it's not good to continuously plant them in the same field, but I've felt scattering them reduced my danger. Anyone with wisdom or experience on this?

I plant 5 acres in a big plot it is divided N-S by and 10ft wide switch grass strip and fruit trees and E-W by several nut and fruit trees,I plant 3- 1/4 pieces in Real World beans which are overseeded with winter wheat and the 4th 1/4 is planted either in wheat or rye.I hunt whichever plot portion they are hitting. Sometimes this depends on temp.I have a bale blind and box blind along with a couple ladder stands around the edge.I have tried brassicas and gave up as there are much better plants

I have always planted my plots as 1 big mix, scattering the clover, oats, brassicas, peas etc. to cover the whole plot. Jeff Sturgis seems to favor splitting the plots and planting heavy brassicas along one side, then another crop adjacent to it.. I tried that last year, but did such a poor job of spraying to kill the grasses that my brassicas were eaten up with weeds and grass, which gave me only half the amount of food this year. Obviously I will prep better next year, but curious as to what everyone thinks about these techniques. I see so many awesome plots on here with none split.

Also, since I usually have brassicas scattered through my mixes, I end up planting brassicas in the same fields year after year. I know that it's not good to continuously plant them in the same field, but I've felt scattering them reduced my danger. Anyone with wisdom or experience on this?

Back to farming vs food plotting. The issue not planting brassica in the same field for more than 2 years comes from farming because of both disease concerns as well as the general concern with depletion of the same nutrients from the soil.

By mixing plants, the concentration of brassica in food plots is far lower on a per square food basis. Unlike farmers, we are not concerned with maximizing yield or making harvest easy for mechanical equipment. I plant brassica in the same fields year after year after year with no ill-effects. Why? because I never plant monocultures and rotate. I plant a buckwheat/Sunn Hemp summer crop, followed by a PTT/CC/WR fall crop. The brassica component never exceeds 2 lbs/ac in a mix. There are no disease issues with fields planted like this.

When we consider soil health first, everything else seems to fall into place for deer.

Only wheat and clover. Durana clover plots get planted with wheat in the fall. No fertilizer. Makes like a lot easier than messing with all the mixes. Deer dont seem to mind one bit.

I have always planted my plots as 1 big mix, scattering the clover, oats, brassicas, peas etc. to cover the whole plot. Jeff Sturgis seems to favor splitting the plots and planting heavy brassicas along one side, then another crop adjacent to it..

He learned this from Paul Knox aka Dbltree / Lickcreek on these forums. You'll get the best tonnage planted this way. Then just flip flop planting areas each fall so no issues. One big advantage is with different planting dates (3-4 weeks earlier for brassicas) you'll ensure you always have something to eat.

You can also mix everything together as others have stated, but just have to lower your brassica rates substantially. The downside of a huge variety mix is some things (like some slower growing clovers for example) will likely get suffocated out and won't see them at all.

He learned this from Paul Knox aka Dbltree / Lickcreek on these forums. You'll get the best tonnage planted this way. Then just flip flop planting areas each fall so no issues. One big advantage is with different planting dates (3-4 weeks earlier for brassicas) you'll ensure you always have something to eat.

You can also mix everything together as others have stated, but just have to lower your brassica rates substantially. The downside of a huge variety mix is some things (like some slower growing clovers for example) will likely get suffocated out and won't see them at all.
This should not happen if you get your seeding rates right. They do vary based on location and condition. That is the real advantage of mixing your own rather than buying a mix. This may not be practical for folks planting small plots but it works great for folks doing QDM buying seed in bulk. Picking the right mix of complementary seeds at the right rate is yithe best way to go. Keep in mind that 2 lb ac in a mix across 3 acres provides more brassica than 5 lbs/ac on a single acre putting other crops on the other two. It is true, that you can get more yield planting monocultures, but the difference is not large and yield is generally not important for QDM. The soil benefits from mixing out weigh any yield benefits from my perspective.

Thanks,

Jack

Cereal grains you're lucky to get 1 ton / acre in the fall. Most brassicas you'll get 3-4 tons / acre. Not even close.

It doesn't matter where you get your mix.
You get the same total tonnage of brassica, just over more acreage. From a QDM standpoint, anything left in the field after the stress period is not contributing to the health of the herd. Yield is important to a farmer. It is a rare case when yield is an issue for QDM. When it is, their are usually bigger issues. I was not comparing the tonnage of cereal vs brassica.

You get the same total tonnage of brassica, just over more acreage. From a QDM standpoint, anything left in the field after the stress period is not contributing to the health of the herd. Yield is important to a farmer. It is a rare case when yield is an issue for QDM. When it is, their are usually bigger issues. I was not comparing the tonnage of cereal vs brassica.

Well, then our fields are grossly different.. I don't have anything left in my field come later winter. Maximum yield will always be my goal.

Well, then our fields are grossly different.. I don't have anything left in my field come later winter. Maximum yield will always be my goal.
Sounds like you have insufficient acreage for QDM. With insufficient scale for QDM, you may have very different objectives.

Must say, that's beautiful. I'm about to plant a plot and want to try beans. I feel I need the whole 5 acres to withstand grazing.
The trick to having beans survive heavy browsing is to up your seed rate per acre. I plant 75 to 100 pounds per acre.

When do you plant your brassicas? Same time as the beans or later? Also when was this picture taken (Month?) Thank you!
I plant brassicas Mid July to early August depending how my schedule fits into planting. Beans are planted late May to early June depending on weather. Picture was taken August 23

I plant brassicas Mid July to early August depending how my schedule fits into planting. Beans are planted late May to early June depending on weather. Picture was taken August 23
My brassica seed would just be hitting the dirt 3rd week of Aug. If I plant earlier than that they never seem to use them.

The trick to having beans survive heavy browsing is to up your seed rate per acre. I plant 75 to 100 pounds per acre.
I've done that before in mixed plots and was planning on doing that with this one. Was thinking about adding some light sunflower or Egyptian wheat to add a little structure