Spike oats

Bill Loser

5 year old buck +
So when I planted this fall I bought a big bag of plot spike oats. I used maybe a quarter of it for my needs as of now.
I was thinking of frost seeding the rest. Ive never done this before, would I broadcast the seed now, just before a good snow, or in early spring before all the snow is melted. Im just hoping for some early germination for spring turkey season.

After the last frost for oats.

If the seed germinates and then it freezes it's done.

You can frost seed red and white clovers. Those do well frost seeded.

Another thing to consider depending on how large your plots are is maybe wait a couple of weeks for the local farmers to plant their crops. That way the stuff the farmer plants starts coming up before your plots and may let your plots get ahead of the deer a little more before they start eating your buffet. More important for things that are high up on the preference list for deer like peas,beans,sunflowers.

As others have mentioned, you can’t frost seed oats. Need to wait until after last frost. If your goal is Turkey season, you will probably get the most growth out of clover by then.

Red and white clovers do well frost seeded, annuals like crimson are more hit and miss with later being best. Berseem cannot be frost seeded, but makes a good companion with oats when planted later.

Good luck!

I've had good luck frost seeding corn for attraction of both turkey and deer.