Sorghum or Egyptian wheat?

seadonist

5 year old buck +
Planted sorghum last year as a plot screen but I was late to plant so it didn’t reach its full potential. Considering planting Egyptian Wheat this year. Which one fills in thicker and grows taller? Are they both supposed to be planted roughly the same time of year? Does EW prefer a ph of 7 like sorghum? Thanks in advance

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

They both respond to proper soil prep, weed control, timing of planting for optimal moisture & fertilizer and sun. They are both grasses. You need to put heavy 40-0-0 fertilizer on early.

Neither will hold up to high wind, of heavy rain or snow. They still are very good annuals. I would mix corn & sunflowers for better structure.

If you want a real repeatable screen, best is conifers, then micanthus.

What treespud said. I used Sudan sorghum for years then switched to miscanthus. No more yearly fuss with planting a screen.

If I planted conifers the first year I might be more ahead. But I think sometimes they are struggle to.

I planted them both last year. Egyptian wheat didn’t come up well. Turns out they recommend drilling it. I planted a Sudan grass hybrid. Hit it with urea just before a rain when it was 6” tall. Was very tall andthick early on. Thinned out throughout the winter. Going to plant a much wider area of the Sudan grass hybrid this year then seed to switchgrass in the winter.

I have planted both - drilled some and broadcast some. You don't really need a pH of 7.0 for either of them. You can get by with something in the 6.0 -6.5 range as well and I have probably planted it in some areas in the 5.5 range as I have used a sorghum "jungle" mixture in the past for brand new plots. That isn't to say that 7.0 isn't good - it is. Just isn't "mandatory".

Both have maturity at about 110 days and as previously mentioned, as grasses - they do like Nitrogen.

I would probably lean a little more towards grain sorghum for standing taller against the wind but they will both go over in the wind - particularly if it is a very narrow stand.

I have at times mixed both taller sorghums and shorter varieties (i.e. WGF sorghum) together and have even thrown in some corn to give the taller varieties some "structure" but if you don't want deer feeding in your screen this may not appeal to you.

Here is a Food Plot Screen sold by Northwoods Whitetails, Inc which I have heard good reviews on:

http://www.northwoodswhitetails.com/product/food-plot-screen

I agree very much with planting something for permanent screens ASAP. I will be planting some Cave In Rock Switchgrass (also available from Northwoods Whitetails) this year for some areas of my property.

Wow, the NWWT mix is crazy thick and tall! I feel that if I had plant d earlier in the year, the sorghum would have turned out much better.

Wow, the NWWT mix is crazy thick and tall! I feel that if I had plant d earlier in the year, the sorghum would have turned out much better.

Height equals thin stalks ... add corn, sorghum, sunflowers, and plant your screen 20' - 30' wide ...

Reactions: don

Gee, they charge a lot on the shipping!!

*****Note: our shipping calculator sometimes defaults the shipping cost to $50-$55. Once you complete your order and enter your actual address, your real shipping charge will appear. Its just a glitch in our system and we are working on it. Thank you*****

I saw this on their page just now

*****Note: our shipping calculator sometimes defaults the shipping cost to $50-$55. Once you complete your order and enter your actual address, your real shipping charge will appear. Its just a glitch in our system and we are working on it. Thank you*****

I saw this on their page just now

I saw that, but the shipping was not 50-55, it was 18.99. Maybe I'll check it again and see if it works.