Son's First Rifle

I use a .243 myself and haven't lost a deer. but really haven't shot many with the rifle. i have wires in my neck and the doctors told me i shouldn't shoot a rifle at all. sssshhhh :)

My son is currently 12 and passed his hunter safety program earlier this year. He will be deer hunting for this first time this year. After considering different rifles and calibers, we decided on the Ruger American in .243, added a Nikon Buckmasters scope in 3x9x40. Hoping to get it sighted in the next couple of weeks so he can spend some time practicing...look out deer!!!:)

View attachment 2163
Great minds think alike;) I chose the same rifle for my son, wife or whoever else wants to use it. I grabbed a cheaper bushnell trophy XLT due to a good sale at a big box store. The cool thing is the ruger american rimfire is really similar size and feel of the center fire compact which is great for lots of cheap trigger time.. Heck I think Im gonna leave my custom rem 700 308 in the safe and hunt with this 243 this yr...
View attachment 2165

How do you guys like the Ruger American now that you've had it for a few months? Maybe hunted with it this past year?

Talked to an outfitter, uses a 243 for elk. double lung is just like a good bow shot.

I think Dan did a piece on the D&D youtube channel saying what performance bullets were in his son's .243. You might want to look for it. With the right bullet, it's more than enough.

I think it's all about good bullets and good shot placement. I have a Ruger M77 in .257 Roberts that I occasionally use. I run 120 grain Nosler Partitions in it and it does a fine job, but I try to pick my shots wisely.

I've been going for double lung the last few years and have gotten pass thru shots and great blood trails. Before that I'd always put it right on the shoulder. Deer usually dropped w/in 10 yards if not on the spot but there wasn't many exit holes.
In wooded country....I like that high-shoulder shot. Really puts the deer down IME. You may lose a little meat.....but not enough to be a game changer for me. I'm colorblind... and not very good at tracking in the brush.

How do you guys like the Ruger American now that you've had it for a few months? Maybe hunted with it this past year?

Like it so far. Only sited mine in havnt drew blood with it yet. Shoots great with hornady 100 grain so. If I could do it over I would go with 7mm08 or 308. I was suprised at the kick the 243 had in the compact Ruger American

Like it so far. Only sited mine in havnt drew blood with it yet. Shoots great with hornady 100 grain so. If I could do it over I would go with 7mm08 or 308. I was suprised at the kick the 243 had in the compact Ruger American

Meaning more or less recoil than you originally thought? I am still leaning 7mm-08 for my guy here in a year or so.

Thanks Jordan.

My son just turned 10 and we're probably going to go with the compact Ruger American with a Vortex Diamondback scope. I just wanted to hear your overall thoughts, regardless of caliber, on the gun after having it a few months.

A few of those low-cost guns get pretty light and will have a bit of recoil to them.....even in 243. Some of the ammo companies make reduced recoil loads. They would soften the recoil from a 243, 308 or 7mm08 quite a bit and still kill deer at reasonable ranges. To me, the 7mm08 is the best all-around, "every day", cartridge for deer. I have read nothing but good about Ruger's All American.

I bought a Savage American Classic for one of my grandsons about three or four years ago (7mm08). He loves it and it is a real tack driver. He shot a hole in a quarter at 100 yards and gave it to his girlfriend for a necklace charm (the big romeo). That kid can really shoot - of course his grand-dad set up is gun, scope, and hnad-loads and taught him a thing or three (but he don't yet realize the difference ;) ) . I really think that Savage is a great gun.....great stock, barrels and accu-triggers.....but they do cost a bit more than a Ruger.

OH....and the point I wanted to make: The Savage weighs a bit more and therefore it tames recoil better than the Ruger. "Prettier" gun IMO.

Meaning more or less recoil than you originally thought? I am still leaning 7mm-08 for my guy here in a year or so.
More than I thought

Thanks Jordan.

My son just turned 10 and we're probably going to go with the compact Ruger American with a Vortex Diamondback scope. I just wanted to hear your overall thoughts, regardless of caliber, on the gun after having it a few months.

I know its a bold statement but hands down I think ruger american is the best budget rifle on the market! I like your scope choice as well. I like vortex diamondback and burris FF2 or E1 for hunting scopes

I am old school and with foggy. My wife, girls and I use 3-7.08's and a 280 in the box stand. I won a .243 at a banquet and returned it for a different gun.

My son turned 10 just before gun season last year. I did a lot of research trying to decide what gun to have him shoot. He is a very big boy and a great shot. In the end I had him shoot my Thompson Center .270 with Hornady Lite reduced recoil rounds. They are still a 120 gr and move pretty quick. He had no problem handling the gun and no problem with the recoil. We could only have 1 gun with us mentor hunting do I saved some cash for now and he got to use a nice rifle with great glass on it. As you can see from my avatar it worked well for him.

I like your avatar Peeps! Hope I get to change mine to somthing like that someday

FYI....This months issue (march '15) og Outdoor Life lists reduced loads for the morst popular youth calibers. Most of the loads listed are 1/2 the recoil of the standard ammo.....yet have enough power for deer at reasonable ranges. GREAT for the recoil sensative shooters. ;)

FYI....This months issue (march '15) og Outdoor Life lists reduced loads for the morst popular youth calibers. Most of the loads listed are 1/2 the recoil of the standard ammo.....yet have enough power for deer at reasonable ranges. GREAT for the recoil sensative shooters. ;)
My daughter used the reduced recoil Remington 30-06 loads for 3 years in her 7600, now she shoots the same rounds as dad without issue.

I'll have to check that out.

Anyone have any idea who a reduced recoil 308 at 120 grains would compare to a 7mm-08 at 140 grains?

Anyone have any idea who a reduced recoil 308 at 120 grains would compare to a 7mm-08 at 140 grains?
With my experience shooting the 30-06 loads from Remington, I would be very surprised if it wasn't the same or less with the .308 rounds vs. the 7-08. There is a marked difference in the reduced 120 gr 30-06 and the 165 gr standard factory loads I shoot. I will ask my uncle, he shoots a .308 pump and I believe he has tried them both in his gun. I will ask how the reduced .308's compare to his .243, which I assume has about the equivalent recoil as a 7-08?