Something to try before pruning

S.T.Fanatic

5 year old buck +
After reading on here about pruning, tree structure, and whatnot, I came across this.

Anyone ever try this?

That looks like a fig. And all the Spanish makes me think he is a bit further south than the US.

That should work well for apples if you get moist sawdust around the limb it will root without having to ring the bark. I would like to try this with pears chestnuts and persimmons this year. I’ve tried air layering once before and it’s more work and harder to do than I thought. This isn’t a preferred way to propagate apples or pears because most people want a certain rootstock but I don’t think that really matters for habitat purposes. There is also a tourniquet method to air layering as well might look that up if you are interested in air layering it’s a good read anyways.

I tried a somewhat similar method years ago with no success. I think it was back in the QDMA forum days. Another friend tried it with no success. I tried a crab apple tree and he tried apple trees.

I think climate is involved in success or failure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The specific apple variety plays a role too. I had one that rooted readily in one season and another didn’t put roots on the whole season but I think it will this coming year.

That should work well for apples if you get moist sawdust around the limb it will root without having to ring the bark. I would like to try this with pears chestnuts and persimmons this year. I’ve tried air layering once before and it’s more work and harder to do than I thought. This isn’t a preferred way to propagate apples or pears because most people want a certain rootstock but I don’t think that really matters for habitat purposes. There is also a tourniquet method to air layering as well might look that up if you are interested in air layering it’s a good read anyways.

Yes, that wire method causes auxin to build up which encourages rooting. Like most rooting methods, easy to root trees work much better than hard to root trees. The method that I think could work for hard to root trees is the one where you bend a low branch down and cover it with soil (with or without the wire). Since the rooting occurs under ground, you can let it overwinter in most areas. With a second growing season, there is a much better chance of rooting.

For trees grown on their own roots, I think root cuttings are a better bet.

Thanks,

Jack

I am going to be trying this in the next couple weeks with a wild pear I found last year on public land.
I took hardwood cuttings, but none made it. I didn’t have any young wood to choose from, so I considered them long shots anyways. I figure I’ll set and forget a few air layerings and check on them again in September. If that doesn’t work? I’ll just rely on known pear varieties instead.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk