Solar power?

buckdeer1

5 year old buck +
Does anyone else use solar to power their building or cabin?Interested in what products.I have a 100watt setup but have a few different issues but it is better than the dark

I do.

3-150W panels
400 amp battery bank

Run as much as possible on propane (cook, heat, fridge, freezer)
Leave the high juice drawing appliances in town (toaster, microwave, AC, welder, wax pot, curling iron)

I do.

3-150W panels
400 amp battery bank

Run as much as possible on propane (cook, heat, fridge, freezer)
Leave the high juice drawing appliances in town (toaster, microwave, AC, welder, wax pot, curling iron)

No curling iron?

That's the hardest one.

I got you covered boys. They make butane powered curling irons. No need to look like a savage when you’re out inspecting your weeds.

Conair The Cordless Collection ~ 5/8-inch Curling Iron with Travel Case https://a.co/d/fcvY4ZY

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I got you covered boys. They make butane powered curling irons. No need to look like a savage when you’re out inspecting your weeds.

Conair The Cordless Collection ~ 5/8-inch Curling Iron with Travel Case https://a.co/d/fcvY4ZY

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Those butane cartridges are much cheaper and work just as good in the thermacell unit.

I share a cabin with 15 people, or atleats used to until I hot rodded a enclosed trailer. Still at the club though.

Gave them a mild start into solar power. I hunt closer to the cabin, so I was hoping they'd use solar lights in the morning rather than run the noisy generator.

Bought 4 RV interior lights. 2 on the main floor of the 20x24 cabin, one in the loft where some guys sleep, and one outside in the porch.

Basic 10x12" or so 10 watt charger. Instead of a solar charge controller, I just use a LM7815 15 volt voltage regulator. Then I have a silicon diode after the regulator, which chops off another .6 to .7 volts. So, I am around 14.4 to 14.3 volts. Just enough to top off the group 27 battery. A guy from the club donated his old trolling motor battery. Think the battery s from 2014. I use regular 120vac house sitches on the lights. I painted the switch plates red to let the guys know it's 12v lights.

Setup should easily run about 40 hours on a charge. Should take about 100 hours of good light to charge it up.

I have a 1.5 amp trickle charger on the battery too, so it gets topped off while the guys run the generator.

Had it there for about 3 years now. Once or twice a year I top off the old battery with about a pint of purified water. So far, no idiot has left it on and drained the battery dead.

Panel was $30, diode and voltage regulator was about $10, RV lights were maybe $50 for 4. 3 switches, boxes, and plates $20. Battery was free. Wire was old stuff I had laying around, as well as the battery box. About $110 into it or so. Wire would add a decent bit. I have 4 conductor 24 guage alarm wire I used. I paralleled the black and white wire for neg. I paralleled the green and red wire for positive.

I'd like to get a bigger panel, or a 2nd 10 watt panel to charge a 2nd battery. I'd add a little more light, a 5 volt USB charging station, a 12v car radio, and maybe a 12v TV and a 12V coffee pot. But, I put in alot more than the average bear at camp. Want the club or a few members to pitch in.

Besides good for hunting, it's much more peaceful, no freezing yourself in the am to have the lights on in the morning, and if the generator is having troubles you got light for the weekend. No 2-3 hours wasted running into town getting stuff to fix the genrator, or get more gas. Gas used to be $30 for the weekend for the generator, if were up late rattling beer cans...... Now I can go to camp with a 2.5 gal can, top off the generator, and still go home with some in the can..