So You Wanna Buy A Big Buck Property ... How Do You Evaluate?

I don’t know how you truly know the land will reliably produce big bucks without some history in the area..a property can check all the boxes from an initial evaluation but when it comes down to it you don’t know what it will produce. A few bad neighbors in the area can ruin it anywhere. You probably don’t really know that without going through a few hunting seasons and experiencing it.
My first three years I saw very few bucks. But I kept doing the habitat work. It picked up last year, then this year is something crazy I have probably seen 20 to 25 different bucks on 300 acres. I’ve had a buck within 100 yards every sit I have taken over the past month.

I do think if you were in a state that has a good deer population, you build the habitat and keep a good population, eventually, the bucks will come.

I had the craziest hunting experience I’ve ever had a couple of days ago. I saved a spot that I thought would be good during rut. Well, it was. I was actually in a ground chair up on a ridge next to a creek. I had a buck walk up and stay within 8 yards of me for about 15 minutes. I know that sounds crazy, but he never smelled or saw me. It was almost scary. He finally moved away and 30 minutes later a second buck came in and did the exact same thing. A few minutes later, the first bucks circle back, and they started fighting literally 8 yards away from me. It was crazy.

I took a lot of video once they were 15 to 20 yards away, but I couldn’t move when they were so close. Here’s a picture of me pointing to a small tree eight steps away, which they were standing right next to.
IMG_3181.jpeg

Here’s the first book after he had walked down to the creek after being next to me for 15 minutes. This is a screen grab from video.

IMG_3220.jpeg
Another screen grab this is second buck about 15 yards away from me. Both were further to the right and right next to that small tree in the picture for what felt like an eternity. It was crazy.
IMG_3221.jpeg

Top two is good buck running around.
IMG_3228.jpegIMG_3226.jpeg
Ole boy that’s been at my place for a couple of years just likes to eat. Not sure he even chases does anymore. Ha. He looks fat still
IMG_3223.jpeg

My first three years I saw very few bucks. But I kept doing the habitat work. It picked up last year, then this year is something crazy I have probably seen 20 to 25 different bucks on 300 acres. I’ve had a buck within 100 yards every sit I have taken over the past month.

I do think if you were in a state that has a good deer population, you build the habitat and keep a good population, eventually, the bucks will come.

I had the craziest hunting experience I’ve ever had a couple of days ago. I saved a spot that I thought would be good during rut. Well, it was. I was actually in a ground chair up on a ridge next to a creek. I had a buck walk up and stay within 8 yards of me for about 15 minutes. I know that sounds crazy, but he never smelled or saw me. It was almost scary. He finally moved away and 30 minutes later a second buck came in and did the exact same thing. A few minutes later, the first bucks circle back, and they started fighting literally 8 yards away from me. It was crazy.

I took a lot of video once they were 15 to 20 yards away, but I couldn’t move when they were so close. Here’s a picture of me pointing to a small tree eight steps away, which they were standing right next to.
View attachment 61426
pretty cool experiences you have at your property. I wonder if that spot had the right wind or thermals for them to want to stop and scent the area or what they were doing? Interesting for sure.

I shouldn’t say you can’t do it without history/experience. I think many have done it. I guess I meant it takes that experience to be very confidence in your decision to purchase something.

I purchased my property 3 years ago and it was in an area I hadn’t hunted but had friends in the area that I knew had success. So I trusted their experience to help make me feel good about it and luckily I have had some good bucks to chase so far. I probably wouldn’t have bought it without that information but I am more conservative and it was my first purchase so it was a bigger deal for me than someone who has had numerous properties