Slip clutch or shear pin?

tooln

5 year old buck +
I was pricing tractors and attachments today. When I take the plunge I figured on the entire package. Tractor, loader, box blade are going to happen. A tiller and brush hog are strong maybe's. All the tillers I looked at have slip clutch's. Brush hogs/rotary cutters have either slip clutch's or shear pins. Is the extra $$$ for the slip clutch worth it on a cutter or will a shear pin do. Use's will be trail's and plot cutting.

Most folks will tell you that a slip clutch is better than a shear bolt. I dunno......a slip clutch has to be in good working order for it to protect. A shear pin is simple. I have both on implements. I suppose I prefer slip clutches on most stuff where impact loads can be abrupt.....but shear pins have served me well too. On lower HP implements.....I'm not sure it really matters.

I have both and have had no issues with either. The difference is when a slip clutch does go bad, they are costly and you are down for the day, at least. I can carry extra shear pins with me, and do. I have only heard of one slip clutch going out, but it always worries me.

I can see where a slip clutch on a tiller would have the advantage. But I'm thinking on a cutter a pin would do as I would not expect to run into rocks or roots like a tiller could or like Foggy says a sudden impact.

I got my slip clutch so hot on my tiller one day....that it was smoking and all the grease was running out of the u-joints. Had it set too loose.....and was not paying attention to it's slight slipping as I worked a patch. Probably had it "on the edge" of smoking......then got it into some thick stuff......and it got REALLY HOT fast. Operator error? Probably. Slip clutches were new to me at the time (lots of old shear bolt experience) so.....

Let it cool.....greased the joints.....re-set the slip clutch and never had another problem (knock on wood). Now I know what to look for. Tiller still works like a champ even after running numerous rocks and stumps thru it and seizing up the tines more than a few times.

I've broken lots of shear bolts on my rotary cutter by hitting rocks and stumps. I went up a shear-bolt grade (grade 2 to grade 5) and don't break so many now. Good advice to go up in bolt strength?......maybe not.....but it solved the shear issues and I have not broken anything so far. :D I've drug my rotary cutter thru allot of crap....and beat the daylights out of it as I broke my land. I only paid $525 for a new KK five footer.....and had the frame and deck straightened and rebuilt for another $300. It aint pretty but it works. I've viewed that cutter as disposable since I bought it......and it does not owe me anything. One day I will replace it....but it works for now. The gearbox has never broke.

There are risks in abusing any of this equipment. I use my stuff pretty hard at times......some of it is lack of knowledge and some of it is poor operator judgement at the time. Sometimes you just want to get the job done and its kinda rough duty breaking new ground. But it happens to all of us. My implements are fairly light duty.....and yet they have taken the abuse of a tyro-type operator. :D I do not regard my tractor as expendable...so I try to not abuse it....but those implements get treated pretty rough at times.

My KK tiller needs the slip clutch adjusted. Last time I used it I hit a root and it didn't slip and the tractor stalled.

My KK tiller needs the slip clutch adjusted. Last time I used it I hit a root and it didn't slip and the tractor stalled.
Yep....I got the same situation with my stump grinder. It will stall the tractor at times.....not a good thing for a diesel motor.

A shear bolt is pretty straight forward - I like simple. The only real rotating equipment I have however is a rotary mower - and I have broken the shear bolt in it - once. Simple to fix however.

A shear bolt is pretty straight forward - I like simple. The only real rotating equipment I have however is a rotary mower - and I have broken the shear bolt in it - once. Simple to fix however.

I think a shear bolt on a rotary cutter is just fine on these small tractors. Some other implements may be better with a slip clutch....but a cutter works well with a shear bolt. A shear bolt may be more reliable too.

Need to keep slip clutches adjusted and free, you mess up a slip clutch it can get spendy, shear a bolt grade two bolts are cheap.

Looks like shear pin it is for the cutter, that will save more $$$$$ for other goodies.

Need to keep slip clutches adjusted and free, you mess up a slip clutch it can get spendy, shear a bolt grade two bolts are cheap.
Yep.....and if grade 2 shears.....use grade 5. Works for me! GRIN :D