All Things Habitat - Lets talk.....

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

SLIP BABY SLIP!!!!

WTNUT

5 year old buck +
I am waiting as patiently as I can for my bark to slip. I have several bark or rind grafts to do. I could probably get them in now, but feel as though they do better if grafted after buds break. Have you done any bark grafts yet?

I have, but not this year. Last year I did them at the end of April, which was perfect.I think that doing it later helped a bit because they got fewer frosts.

I'm a couple hours south of Rally and I did mine a week into May. Several trees were in full bloom that I cut off to graft. Bark slipped so easily I thought I was doing something wrong and had nearly 100% survival. Some of my scions grew 8 feet and are the size of my thumb. I believe you might be in OH? I would wait another 2 weeks minimum. I will be back in MI around May 15 to do some more this year.

I went ahead and grafted all but two of mine. The bark is a little tight and I mean a very little, but it slips away just fine when I insert the knife and pry a little. I have waited a couple weeks more in prior years, but needed to get them done. That is a lot of growth in one year!!!!

I'm a couple hours south of Rally and I did mine a week into May. Several trees were in full bloom that I cut off to graft. Bark slipped so easily I thought I was doing something wrong and had nearly 100% survival. Some of my scions grew 8 feet and are the size of my thumb. I believe you might be in OH? I would wait another 2 weeks minimum. I will be back in MI around May 15 to do some more this year.

Here near Detroit we'e got a few ornamental crabs just breaking buds, so I'd say that a week or two would be good. @buckvelvet how are your trees?

I didnt know you could tag people in a post on HT. Learned something new!

@Rally1148, @deepsleep,
My trees here in W MI are 50/50 beginning silver tip, some still dormant.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

image.jpg I am converting 11 macs to other varieties. It's early, but I did three of them yesterday. Bark slipped ok, but definitely will be easier in a week or two. Couldn't wait.

Last edited:
Here's an update on the top working I did this spring. I converted many of the macs (prone to fireblight) that I planted in 2008 to a favorite wild tree on the property we call Swamp Apple. This picture shows an original 2008 mac in background and 2015 and 2016 topworked trees in foreground. I love having trees of different ages so you visualize what they will become in x years. image.jpeg