Skidding tongs

tooln

5 year old buck +
I'm looking to get skidding tongs. I have never had any before and am looking for suggestions. Anyone have any, any better than others or any bad ones to stay away from? Thanks

I have the replaceable point ones Fleet Farm sells. They work well enough, but I still chain logs for skidding. I use the tongs to lift the log to get a chain under it.

If the log has any rot in it, it can be hard to seat the spikes in solid wood (tong issue; not specific to these). Pulling from the end can cause the log to roll, and you can end up dragging your tongs in the dirt (not nice for them).

I just prefer chaining, and actually want to try cable chokers too. I wouldn't go without my tongs, but I just use them to help lift the wood. I included a pair with the log arch I sold because I like the technique so much. And yes, the one you linked is what I use. They make a 32" model as well, but I don't have enough trees that size to worry about it.

The first minute or so is the only useful part of this video, but it makes a couple points: you should have a lift arm for your tongs, and you will end up getting off anyway.

I'm contemplating a skidding claw build with hydraulic jaw. But keep in mind I'm clear cutting about 5 acres too.

A chain with an oversized choke hook will pull a lot of wood. Ive never had a log I couldn't get a chain around

^ That video Jim posted is funny stuff. :) I always wondered why folks want tongs and arches......I guess its all about saw logs and dirt. I don't saw logs....so I just pull em with a chain or pick em up with my grapple and break them in two or three pieces to stack.

I'm mainly looking for the tong's for lifting. I had a few yesterday I couldn't get a chain around.

We only cut for firewood and have always dragged with a chain. You can roll a log or lift it enough with a peavey or canthook to feed a chain under. If we were still cutting firewood, I would look for an arch, though. You get the end of the log up so you are digging up the woods less while dragging and fewer stones to saw through. From a safety aspect, the butt of the log is less likely to catch on a stump. If the guy on the tractor is not paying attention, that could upset the tractor.

Keeping the bark clean is part of it, but not tearing up the ground is a bigger reason to lift the butt. It also reduces the friction and makes life much easier on your tow vehicle.

My big arch is more trouble than it's worth now that I have a tractor. Come spring, I'll probably repaint it and stick it on CL.