Size of trees on order

chummer

5 year old buck +
I just noticed that all my trees coming from cummins this year are listed as feathered. I am hoping that is not their smallest tree as they usually have a number size on them. Any help would be great. I also just noticed they have a lot of dolgo and chestnut crabs available for those interested. I know they go fast.

Thank you, I knew it had to be there some where. What a nice surprise I have their largest trees coming.

They told me they aren't going to know grade until November

They told me they aren't going to know grade until November
Interesting, maybe because I ordered them last year my trees will be picked near the top so they know they will have enough of the bigger stock. I know the ones I added late last year and got this spring were not much bigger than a pencil.

I guess I'll find out if/when they respond to my email

I just noticed that all my trees coming from cummins this year are listed as feathered. I am hoping that is not their smallest tree as they usually have a number size on them. Any help would be great. .

Feathered means branched. Generally those are the largest trees they would offer.

This is just personal preference, everyone has their own ideas but I don't get caught up too much on feathered vs whip. A few years ago I got some Wolf River whip's that were significantly larger than feathered trees in the same order. I'll take a 6-7' whip any day.

Feathered means branched. Generally those are the largest trees they would offer.
Yes, and they will fruit sooner. These trees are farther along for sure.

I've purchased some really nice potted fruit trees with lots of branches that have died quickly and also some pathetic looking whips that ended up growing great. I don't have any way to prove it, but sometimes I think the smaller trees seem to do better with minimal care because they don't have the high numbers of leaves that can dry out quickly if the trees aren't watered. I would rather have lots of roots with fewer branches than the other way around. But if you can water the trees frequently it may not be a major issue.

DSCN0881.JPG
Since I try to train my trees for a first set of limbs at 4-5'....I don't get that worked up over feathered vs. whip. Perhaps I'm wrong?
I've had both and I definitely get them fruiting sooner w/ feathers. I start them at 4' or so too, but just cut out the lower limbs a couple years later. I'm not in any hurry to take those lower limbs out. I think you get better growth with more canopy, so long as you have good roots as Ben pointed out. Unfortunately you get what you get with the roots. The worst trees I ever got were from Cummins. They were supposed to be feathered, but they were whips. The following year I got the same trees (roots and variety) but they were feathered from another nursery and they both started fruiting this year.

Apples start fruiting on two yo limbs rights, so they will fruit sooner if there are limbs started, right? Typically most of the feathered trees I get are 3/4 caliper and have a little more than one scaffold started, so even if you cut the lower branches out there are some higher up that have a little start. I like that!

These were some great feathered trees from Stark Bros.

Huh? Can't pick your own roots? I always have, but maybe cause I'm buying a lot of trees? As I recall they have a 25 tree price break. Maybe if you buy anything else from them check there wholesale division. Just tell them you are an orchard or something. I can look up the phone number for them if you need it. They are one of the cheapest price wise too. I think I got trees for around $6 something per tree at 300 or more.

This is an M7 HC I got from ACN in 2011. All the bottom branches areDSCN0954.JPG gone now.

Maya - Thanks for the feedback on stark Bros! I sent them an email to inquiry on wholesale purchases.

You're buying on a different scale than I am Maya ;)
Go in with friends and buy trees together!