Silky/ red osier dogwood cutting id

I went for kitchen sink experimentation. Red, gray, long, short, skinned and Unskinned nodes…. Blessed to have a ton of it to pull from. Will post results next yr.

Also played around w gray and RP dogwood (and some willow varieties).

The cuttings are starting to wake up. Had to bring them in last night though. Went from 76 on Wednesday to low of 27 last night.
New ROD.jpg

Are you planning on planting them in the ground this year? Or are you going to pot them? I have always read it is best to plant them before they start to leaf out, or they spend all their stored energy making leafs, rather then roots. But I am a rookie at it.

Are you planning on planting them in the ground this year? Or are you going to pot them? I have always read it is best to plant them before they start to leaf out, or they spend all their stored energy making leafs, rather then roots. But I am a rookie at it.
This is what I'm learning right now, I started a bunch in water and shortly after the leafs started opening I moved them to pots. 7 out of 10 are dying but 3 are still going strong. I also stuck 5 directly into potted soil and all 5 are doing great.

This is a total experiment. I have no idea what I'm doing either. I was going to wait until I could see some roots coming out but I haven't seen any yet. I have about 40 cuttings in soil that I put rooting hormone on too and about 20-30 more that I just pushed into the ground. Just trying to find out what works the best. Maybe I'll pot half the jar now and see how that works out. They just started leafing out in the last 2-3 days.

Let me know how it works out.

Mine didn't work out for the most part. I have found a bunch more and am going with a deeper pot so I can get 2 sets of buds below the dirt. I also plan to plant a bunch in my RCG swamps by just sticking 2 buds below the ground and 2 sets above.

So I planted a quite a few ROD cuttings this week around a swampy area. I tried to plant them on the edges of the water. Now with the rain we got, and the snow pack melting, a lot of the cuttings are completely under water. These areas dont normally have water year around, but they stay muddy, and when it rains, they will puddly over for a while.

I am just wondering if them being under water will hurt, or help them? I have no clue how long they will be under water, that depends on ol Mother Nature.

Mine didn't work out for the most part. I have found a bunch more and am going with a deeper pot so I can get 2 sets of buds below the dirt. I also plan to plant a bunch in my RCG swamps by just sticking 2 buds below the ground and 2 sets above.
I think this will be the ticket for you. Almost all my successful cuttings have been with only 1 or 2 buds above ground, about 80 - 90 percent of cuttings under the ground.

So I planted a quite a few ROD cuttings this week around a swampy area. I tried to plant them on the edges of the water. Now with the rain we got, and the snow pack melting, a lot of the cuttings are completely under water. These areas dont normally have water year around, but they stay muddy, and when it rains, they will puddly over for a while.

I am just wondering if them being under water will hurt, or help them? I have no clue how long they will be under water, that depends on ol Mother Nature.
Mine are in the same situation. Part of the mother tree that I planted is underwater. I was hoping that wasn't too much water for it. It's only a piece that came off the main plant so if it dies, it's not that big of a deal, but I'd prefer it didn't. We've had a very wet spring so far.

I am going to be planting a bunch this weekend in my RCG swamps. I have a 5 gallon pail full plus I found a nice patch right on the way to my property. The 2nd batch I planted at home in a deeper pot seem to be doing well They are starting slow instead of getting a bunch of leaves right away. I have half a mind to get good at propagating and selling them. Saw a pot of them at Wal Mart yesterday for $15. I would always give them away to my friend here on Habitat Talk though :emoji_wink:

I think this will be the ticket for you. Almost all my successful cuttings have been with only 1 or 2 buds above ground, about 80 - 90 percent of cuttings under the ground.
Do you still nip the buds on the bottom when you stick them in the ground ?

Do you still nip the buds on the bottom when you stick them in the ground ?
I don't but I think I will try it this year on some. I saw some videos where they slice one side of the bottom buds off. They had really good results this way.

I don't but I think I will try it this year on some. I saw some videos where they slice one side of the bottom buds off. They had really good results this way.
Saw the same thing with crabapple tree whips. Trying on toringo crabapple and red dogwood. A few apple too. Making a small raised bed for the science experiment this weekend.

I finish planting all my cuttings this morning. I skimmed off one of the bottom buds on about half, and not on the other half. Just to see if it makes a difference.

I just took a garden rake, raked the vegetation sand leaves out of the way, and poked a chunk of rebar in the ground about 6” deep and poked the cutting in the ground and stepped around it, then went to the next one. I made this to poke the holes, it worked great. Just a 4’ 3/8” rebar with a gate bracket welded to it. To mark the depth, and to step on to save my hand. 07C19D43-5D29-4E39-BCE0-F004B57A23A4.jpeg

rod2.jpgrod3.jpgrod4.jpg
ROD is starting to wake up. Happy to see some of the cuttings I shoved into the ground are starting to leaf out too.

Will first year panted cutting flower the first year?

The cuttings I had in water are flowering. I assume that's the flower but I'm not sure. The cuttings I put in the ground and in my grow bed are much further behind those in the water. I transplanted some of the cuttings from the water into compost with some mulch on top.
Rod1.jpgrod 2.jpgrod 3.jpg

Finally got up to my land and stuck about 200 sticks of ROD in the ground I put some in a new bedding area I made about a month ago. The rest went into my RCG swamps. I plan on coming back through with some Gly once things start greening up and try to keep the RCG at bay. I mostly went 2 buds deep (4 buds total) so hopefully they start growing. My experiment at home was mostly a failure as I don't think I had enough buds under ground. Also, I think you want to SLOWLY wake them up when you are trying to propagate them to allow them to get some roots. Now I'm trying to propagate everything. I have some Lilac that was from my Grandma's and later I plan on some Hydrangeas' as well. Nothing like free plants.