Silky/ red osier dogwood cutting id

How long did this take? I've had some in water like that for almost a week with no buds breaking or roots starting.
Thanks
So these were about 2 to 3 weeks. I also started some in dirt with a rooting hormone about a week ago and those are starting to open now. At the same time I put some more in water to see what would go first and the dirt seems quicker. I'm trying to do this a few different ways to see what works the best. The ones opening up now do not have any roots yet. This is a fun experiment. I am also going to take some fresh cuttings and just stick them in the ground once we thaw out. Like I said just playing around to see what works best.

So these were about 2 to 3 weeks. I also started some in dirt with a rooting hormone about a week ago and those are starting to open now. At the same time I put some more in water to see what would go first and the dirt seems quicker. I'm trying to do this a few different ways to see what works the best. The ones opening up now do not have any roots yet. This is a fun experiment. I am also going to take some fresh cuttings and just stick them in the ground once we thaw out. Like I said just playing around to see what works best.
Thanks for the info! I'm sorta doing the same thing with testing a few different ways to get them ready for transplant.

Thanks for the info! I'm sorta doing the same thing with testing a few different ways to get them ready for transplant.
I did finally see one root on a twig, otherwise it's all leaves so far. I think I need to see some roots before I will try planting the ones in the jars of water to pots.

I hate to say it but, My guess is your going to lose those red osiers that are leafed out;

It would be better to have 3/4 of the cuttings in the water and only a couple buds out, you need more of the cutting's bud or growth node sites under water or in a wet soil medium generating roots. Not only that but that much leafing out is taking everything out of the cutting with nothing coming in from roots - its a short lived thing - that leaf growth should be going into root growth instead.
Looks great for a while till the nutrients are exhausted then the leaves wither.

Sorry, hope Im wrong and they make it.

I hate to say it but, My guess is your going to lose those red osiers that are leafed out;

It would be better to have 3/4 of the cuttings in the water and only a couple buds out, you need more of the cutting's bud or growth node sites under water or in a wet soil medium generating roots. Not only that but that much leafing out is taking everything out of the cutting with nothing coming in from roots - its a short lived thing - that leaf growth should be going into root growth instead.
Looks great for a while till the nutrients are exhausted then the leaves wither.

Sorry, hope Im wrong and they make it.
Thanks for the advice. I do have about 30 started in pots with potting soil as well so if they do die off I'm not too worried. I have a whole bunch more to cut this spring as well. Those I want to just put right in the ground. I'm really trying 3 different methods to see what works.

Check out this score I got from Craigslist this weekend. Free, all I had to do was dig it up for this little old lady. She told me over the phone that was about 6 ft. tall. I'm 6 ft. tall and it was a good 4 ft. taller than me haha. I had to cut a few feet off of it because it was hanging out the back of my truck bed a bit further than I would like. Hopefully it survives. It stays pretty wet where I planted it.
ROD 1.jpgROD 2.jpg
It came pre-rubbed too. Thought that was a good sign. I saved all the branches I had to cut off for cuttings.

ROD 3.jpgROD 4.jpg
ROD 5.jpgROD 6.jpgrod 8.jpgrod 9.jpg
In her new spot. I got so many cuttings from the branches that I thought I'd experiment. I just poked a bunch into the ground, put some in water, and put some in my grow bed.

The ones I got from Cold stream had great roots,I cut a slot and dropped them in.I planted them in an area that holds some water but always stays damp.Also stuck about 20 willow cuttings in another area

They are resilient - time will tell, its all fun stuff anyways

These are my group where I directly put them in soil but I did use rooting hormone. Fun stuff
View attachment 41992
Chucker, do you have any deeper pots you could stick most of the cutting in dirt and just leave one bud above surface? It would be interesting to see if the roots get bigger that way. I never had luck leaving that much out of the ground, they would make leaves but later would die.

Chucker, do you have any deeper pots you could stick most of the cutting in dirt and just leave one bud above surface? It would be interesting to see if the roots get bigger that way. I never had luck leaving that much out of the ground, they would make leaves but later would die.
I do and will have to try that. I'll get some more cuttings this weekend :emoji_wink:

2-3 buds in and 1-2 buds out of the soil - the more in the soil the better the less out the better..............

2-3 buds in and 1-2 buds out of the soil - the more in the soil the better the less out the better..............

So - what if it is a longer whip- say 3-5” below but 1-2ft out?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So - what if it is a longer whip- say 3-5” below but 1-2ft out?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I believe the plant puts more energy into putting on leaves to all those buds out of the ground, not towards the roots. I think it is better to get that energy going towards the roots. I have had a Lot better success with only 1 or 2 buds out. I started doing cuttings with a Lot out of the ground. They all looked good at first, but later most of them died.

I am getting impatient on planting. Should you wait until all the frost is out of the ground? Or just enough of the frost so you can plant the cuttings (6-8")? According to the frost map, a week ago we still had about 30" of frost in the ground.

The last couple mornings I think we gain frost depth. Yesterday morning it was 3 degrees, this morning we had 0 degrees. But the forecast is looking a little better with lows between 20-30, and highs between 35-50.

I am getting impatient on planting. Should you wait until all the frost is out of the ground? Or just enough of the frost so you can plant the cuttings (6-8")? According to the frost map, a week ago we still had about 30" of frost in the ground.

The last couple mornings I think we gain frost depth. Yesterday morning it was 3 degrees, this morning we had 0 degrees. But the forecast is looking a little better with lows between 20-30, and highs between 35-50.
I've always read that you can take cuttings of ROD all the way up until they leaf out, I wouldn't be in too big of a hurry.

I found a sweet spot in a road ditch that got mowed last year, about a mile from the house, where there is probably several hundred fresh growth shoots that came from the main plant after being mowed.

That's something to keep in mind for those who like to propagate, you can mow the established Bush/shrub one year and potentially cage it(if deer browse is a problem), the following year you should have dozens of beautiful, straight cuttings for propagation.

Next question- as I have access to a few mature patches- has anyone had good or bad luck cutting long stems (say 4ft) and then sun dividing them down into smaller whips for planting or is is best to just take from the end? (These whips would be maintained right side up and 2 nodes subsurface and 2 above).

Next question- as I have access to a few mature patches- has anyone had good or bad luck cutting long stems (say 4ft) and then sun dividing them down into smaller whips for planting or is is best to just take from the end? (These whips would be maintained right side up and 2 nodes subsurface and 2 above).
Yes, most of my cuttings I get are from 2-3 ft straight whips that I then cut down into 10-14 inch pieces. Try to get just the brighter red pieces that have good buds, these are usually 1 and 2 year old growth. Most of the dogwood cuttings I get are pencil size and smaller. It doesn't take but a few seconds to stick in the ground so I even keep some of the really small end pieces and stick them in the ground too.I stay away from the older grey wood.

If you look at my pics above. I trimmed about 4 feet off of some of the larger branches. I cut them all down but I planted the bigger stems too just to see what would happen. I'll try to keep everything updated. The biggest was probably 1/2 inch diameter.