Shoulder spreader recommandations

Gears on the solo are silky smooth. I have had it for about 5 years. Ran well over 1800 lbs of WR and just about every other seed thru it. I have ran fertilizer, gypsum and salt thru it. Most of that after running it over with the tractor. I lost the lid, spread in rain, and still use it even with the big crack on the right side. I have a 500 lb 3-point broadcast spreader but like to spread all my seed by hand. I believe it says it holds 20 pounds of seed. Sure doesn’t seem like it. I wanted a bigger spreader so I bought the 3100 this year. I have not used it yet stated 40 lbs of seed but again it sure doesn’t seem like it. The first thing I noticed is the strap is cheap feeling but we will see. I’ll still use my solo that thing has been a rock but for larger seedings of WR I’ll probably use the 3100. Depending on what how you use it you will not be sorry if you go solo unless filling up the hopper bothers you.
View attachment 29979
I agree the strap is very cheaply made but the design works very well. I do wish the strap was made better. I also agree it is a beast to handle when filled to capacity but thankfully it does not last forever as the more you crank the lighter it gets! I guess I'm a light at the end of the tunnel guy. I believe both of these spreaders are top notch and it boils down to personal preference.

Reactions: Rit
I can't remember where I read it on here, but the Solo spreader with a Milwaukee drill and 14mm socket to replace the hand crank is THE BEST

Rit the hard plastic earthway looks good but I didn't see that in person or see any reviews on it. So I was only comparing the solo to the earthway bag spreader.

I just googled the 3100 earthway and the cheapest I saw it was $120 so in my case if I was going to spend that much I probably would have bought 2 solo spreaders for a little of $100 so one of my other camp members could help me seed or fertilize my 1/2 ac. plots to cut down on my time.

i have always just used the earthway bag. Its not perfect, but it gets it done.

for large poundages like cereal grains, I just run the 3 point cone spreader

I like my earthway nylon bag spreader.