Shoulder spreader recommandations

270 sniper

A good 3 year old buck
I am looking to replace my 20 year old solo hard plastic shoulder spreader that served me well but is falling apart. I was able to spread clover seed with the hooper closed all the way up to spreading fertilizer. I mostly use my handheld scotts spreader for clover and I have a ATV moultrie spreader for my larger plots but want another spreader for my smaller half acre plots.

I think I use exactly what you do a Solo shoulder mount with a green Scott's for smaller seed. I guess I would replace the Solo with another Solo I really like my Solo spreader.

PMPhz2v.jpg

I loathe my Solo spreader and found the Earthway better. My Solo constantly hung up on fertilizer and beans and had to send one back because the gears stripped.

VV

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My solo does hang up some with sunflower,otherwise works well

Interesting rig on the shoulder strap,Scott44!!

bill

My solo does hang up some with sunflower,otherwise works well

Interesting rig on the shoulder strap,Scott44!!

bill
Take a kids swimming noodle and slice it, sometimes you can just snake it through without slicing it. Really helps out on the shoulder strap not cutting into your shoulder.

You’re looking for a faster horse when the automobile has been mainstreamed.

Big seeds by hand, little seeds by air. Too thick brassicas and wasted clover doesn’t have to happen ever again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Earthway Professional hand crank spreader is what I've been using. I've had it for about 8 years now and it works great.

I've been very happy with my solo. You do need to add oil to the gears from time to time. It is the most comfortable spreader Iv'e used.

Has anyone here ever figured out how to put two shoulder straps onto the Solo? I'm envisioning something like backpack straps.

I have an EarthWay and would love to have something that has a more durable body and better support system.

that blower seeder looks cool but I would think I would have to walk very fast to cover the area before I would run out of seed.

Has anyone here ever figured out how to put two shoulder straps onto the Solo? I'm envisioning something like backpack straps.

I have an EarthWay and would love to have something that has a more durable body and better support system.

Mine has a cross strap. It connects to the unit on a hole near the top on one end. The other end has a hook. You flip it over your shoulder and across your back. The other end with hook goes around the plastic base. Works well for me. I have broadcast large seed like soybeans with it, but I find you have to refill often. Most of the stuff I use it for is small seed where I need more precision. For large seed or a mix with WR, I use the 3pt spreader.

Thanks folks. I just ordered another solo spreader off of Amazon

While I was in Agway the other day I checked out the Earthway Professional hand crank spreader & wasn't impressed with all the plastic components. Still waiting on delivery of he Solo that I ordered.

While I was in Agway the other day I checked out the Earthway Professional hand crank spreader & wasn't impressed with all the plastic components. Still waiting on delivery of he Solo that I ordered.

I have had my Earthway shoulder spreader for over 20 years. Typically plant 5-10 acres every spring and have spread 1000's of lbs of UREA & other fertilizer with it along with clover, WR, corn, milo, sunflower, brassica, soybean, etc. Have never had a problem or replaced a part.

I have not used the Solo but I have given it a look over. I'm not sure there is any more or less plastic with the Earthway Professional chest spreader but to me the Solo was not near as robust in my opinion. I was torn between the two spreaders and went with the Earthway because I liked the shoulder harness better and it seemed better built to me. The harness is low quality but it is very comfortable. I have used my Earthway a lot over the years without any problems. It is still going strong and I expect it will last a long time.

For those of you with the Earthway, is this the nylon bag seeder or the Pro 3100 with the plastic can looking thing?

My bag seeder just crapped so im in the market for something that wont kill my arm!

I have been referring to the "plastic can looking thing" or the Pro 3100. That has been a very reliable spreader for me and very comfortable to tote around a food plot. I would not waste my money on the one that crapped out on you. From what I have heard the Solo is also a good spreader but I know for sure the Earthway is a great spreader from my personal experience. I love my Earthway!

Gears on the solo are silky smooth. I have had it for about 5 years. Ran well over 1800 lbs of WR and just about every other seed thru it. I have ran fertilizer, gypsum and salt thru it. Most of that after running it over with the tractor. I lost the lid, spread in rain, and still use it even with the big crack on the right side. I have a 500 lb 3-point broadcast spreader but like to spread all my seed by hand. I believe it says it holds 20 pounds of seed. Sure doesn’t seem like it. I wanted a bigger spreader so I bought the 3100 this year. I have not used it yet stated 40 lbs of seed but again it sure doesn’t seem like it. The first thing I noticed is the strap is cheap feeling but we will see. I’ll still use my solo that thing has been a rock but for larger seedings of WR I’ll probably use the 3100. Depending on what how you use it you will not be sorry if you go solo unless filling up the hopper bothers you.
8512BFE7-4D6E-43B7-96D5-D113E71ED7E1.jpeg

40 lbs...My achin' back! :emoji_grin: