Shooter or not.... and Age....?

alldaysit

5 year old buck +
Well, would you take the following deer if you had the opportunity? How old do you think he is?

6e25f64536204a95c07256d20cae2327.jpg

4f3c1bb9b54884a4e924b56a7fceaa7a.jpg

837dc81588c4df373c1ebfa03dce7a21.jpg

abcd7d3297201c9d9bdd9297cccf8834.jpg

f321c9aa86b74ac8870073ce02337e0e.jpg

083910d2519ec9c93fccbd02969fb746.jpg

13519bd473038680aca07ddc3696acd4.jpg

5f5d0f15ea234d48c7a540ec85bc3dcf.jpg

5f8bf0b3819d5f16db83100f23a9a806.jpg

0f2ef317b9b785b1ed1b32a04f6719f7.jpg

I did harvest this buck and sent in his front teeth for cementum annuli aging. He is seven and a half years old!!!

Last edited:
Shooter for me in my area regardless of age, no questions asked. Congrats on harvesting a great buck. Did you have history with him in previous years?

edit... Did you weigh him?

Last edited:
absolutely, in that first pic he is a TANK

He is a tank. So much so I think it makes him look small (if that makes sense). What did that thing weigh?

What i have found works for me is to cover up the antlers and look at body.However over 5.5 they are tough.Mine was aged this year at 5.5.Great looking buck for sure

Shooter every time in my hunting area. I'd guess 4.5. First pic his neck/throat is continuous line down to his brisket. Has that " steer " shape.

I would pull the trigger!

Thanks everyone!

Shooter for me in my area regardless of age, no questions asked. Congrats on harvesting a great buck. Did you have history with him in previous years?

edit... Did you weigh him?

I had him on camera the year before and he was about the same size but a 9 point. Here's a picture:

da7fc896bfb1cd4a6047e040dc3d1ab9.jpg

I never seen him on the hoof until this year, the day I shot him with the bow.

I didn't have a big game scale then, but I got one from the wife for Christmas.

When I shot him, he had the racehorse look already, dropped a ton of weight and I was like "how old is he?" (Because he looked 3.5 on the hoof lol). I said those October pictures make him look 5.5+ so I better follow through with this opportunity. He came to the waterhole I dug in front of the stand following Steve B's book advice, he was grunting and checking the does in the food plot. It was an exciting night.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What date did you harvest him? I've heard that bucks can lose a whole lot of weight between pre and post rut.

What date did you harvest him? I've heard that bucks can lose a whole lot of weight between pre and post rut.

I shot him on November 16th.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nice buck. I would have guessed the he was 5.5 or older. Definately a shooter here in Pa where 4 year old buck are fairly uncommon. I'm not sure if I've ever seen a 7 year old buck in Pa.
Did Deer Age analyze the incisors? I got the results of my 2016 buck a couple weeks ago. It's the 4th buck they've aged for me. I've been a little surprised at some of the results.
I don't want to jack your thread, I should do a thread with on-the-hoof pics of him seconds before I shot him vs the Deer Age results. It was surprising.
I may be underestimating the age of some bucks that I see which is the opposite of what most guys do...they tend to overestimate age.

Nice buck. I would have guessed the he was 5.5 or older. Definately a shooter here in Pa where 4 year old buck are fairly uncommon. I'm not sure if I've ever seen a 7 year old buck in Pa.
Did Deer Age analyze the incisors? I got the results of my 2016 buck a couple weeks ago. It's the 4th buck they've aged for me. I've been a little surprised at some of the results.
I don't want to jack your thread, I should do a thread with on-the-hoof pics of him seconds before I shot him vs the Deer Age results. It was surprising.
I may be underestimating the age of some bucks that I see which is the opposite of what most guys do...they tend to overestimate age.

I sent in both front teeth to Deer Age. My brother and I had a bet going that he was either 3.5 or 4.5. I said the October pics make him look older than that. Then when we got the results that he was 7.5 it blew my mind. That's why I send those teeth in.

Ive only sent in my last two bucks which have been 4.5 and 7.5..... both very surprising.

Before I shot him I thought he needed another year because I thought he looked 3.5.

It's beginning to make me think that any aging on the hoof after like October 24th(I'll be looking at this from a trail camera perspective this year) has a much higher degree of inaccurate age estimates.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

When they hit 4.5+ its just a guessing game. For years I did not believe results. Now with years of cam pick history there is a lot more mature deer than people think.