All Things Habitat - Lets talk.....

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sharpening bush hog blades?

Boll Weevil

5 year old buck +
While you'd be hard pressed to find a rock anywhere on my place other than in the creek bed, I have used my bush hog on some pretty big brush/saplings over the years. No big dings or chunks out of the blades but thinking a touch up might make for a little faster mowing and maybe save some fuel?

Do you periodically sharpen your bush hog blades or not?

I sharpen mine, otherwise you are beating/ripping the grass/brush instead of cutting it. Look at a new blade to get angle, don't sharpen blade like a lawn mower to a sharp/fine edge. Edge will be blunt.

I keep my old pair on for early work on my farm like cutting down a standing corn field in April. Then I put on my good set of blades for the rest of the years mowing. So yes, I do sharpen my blades on a yearly basis. I might add that I have LOTS of rocks on my farm and seem to find each and every one of them with the brush hog as I like to mow close to the ground.

Sharpen mine couple times a year.

I sharpen every year and I hate that job. 10 foot mower that I have yet to remove the blades from. I put Jack stands under it and crawl under there with a hand held grinder.

I put Jack stands under it and crawl under there with a hand held grinder.
This is the route I'm going...hopefully it won't take too awful long but I haven't sharpened them in 5 years. Might be more of a job than anticipated.

Might be more of a job than anticipated.

Just don't wait until August when it's 90 degrees and humid. Seems like that's always when I need it sharper.

I sharpen every year and I hate that job. 10 foot mower that I have yet to remove the blades from. I put Jack stands under it and crawl under there with a hand held grinder.

4 1/2" angle grinder done Bills way is faster than trying to remove them.

I think it's much faster and easier to just remove them. it only takes a minute, although you will need a 3/4 inch ratchet set.

I remove mine for sharpening. As I do it on a yearly basis, it is not that bad to take off the blades. I always soak the nut in penetrating oil a couple of days before attempting to take them off. I use a long handled wrench with a pipe attached to it for extra leverage.

Is it important to balance them like lawn mower blades? Seems to me that if 1 blade is heavier than the other, it would wear on the bearings.