All Things Habitat - Lets talk.....

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sex Change Operation - Transfered from QDMA forum

mikmaze;798500 said:
persimmons up this way are coloring up, easy to spot from the road now..... so many males around, need to give em the bruce jenner. :eek:
Who would have thought it when I originally titled the thread? :eek:

Amazing Success! When I first started I was using scions from my native trees. While they really took off in terms of producing vegetation, only one tree of that initial set has started producing persimmons. I then started grafting some named varieties as well as some scions from other folks across the country from their native trees.

In May of 2015, I grafted a scion I got from Todd (DogDoc on the other forum) that I grafted to a small native persimmon tree. Folks say that you can get your first persimmon or two in the third leaf after grafting. Well, Todd's scion beat that. I happened to be planting trees near this tree today and here is what I saw:

f243b37e-3e2c-4a1d-9335-315cc4416351.jpg

Sure enough, this tree is in its second leaf and already producing some persimmons!

Thanks,

Jack

Last edited:
Updated Picture Links

This activity is finally paying off pretty well:

2938c00d-980a-497a-b754-eff61acbbba5.jpg

This was a male tree grafted with a 100-45 scion in the spring of 2013.

Thanks,

Jack

Found another one today that I had grafted and forgot about:

8a01ec60-3535-4d7b-b4b9-14d77693187e.jpg

Quite a few persimmons on this one for its size. Unfortunately I can't find what I grafted to it in my records.

Thanks,

Jack