Selling carbon credits

I’m sure this is a yes because how would they know, but you can still do tsi on your woods as long as you don’t do an all out harvest?

I’m sure this is a yes because how would they know, but you can still do tsi on your woods as long as you don’t do an all out harvest?
It appears you can. They have a FAQ page that has a lot of info if you’re interested.

I’m guessing you I can’t participate if your land is in a managed forest crop (MFL)?

I’m guessing you I can’t participate if your land is in a managed forest crop (MFL)?

I am not so sure about that. Just managing your forest responsibly does not preclude you from harvesting your timber, so my guess is you would be eligible. I think it would be worth asking the question of them.

Yep after reading it looks like MFL not eligible. I wonder how reliable this program is to re-enroll every year

I am not so sure about that. Just managing your forest responsibly does not preclude you from harvesting your timber, so my guess is you would be eligible. I think it would be worth asking the question of them.
It says “all woodland owners who have the right to harvest timber” are eligible. But with MFL you don’t have the right to harvest whenever you want, I’m just guessing that’s how it may be interpreted

It says “all woodland owners who have the right to harvest timber” are eligible. But with MFL you don’t have the right to harvest whenever you want, I’m just guessing that’s how it may be interpreted
They are a startup tech company. I work in that world and I'd guess they don't have it all figured out yet. Each state has different programs etc that would need to be programmed into their process which I'd guess is a longterm endeavor. Worst case they'd just pull the payment, but doesn't sound like you'd have any risk trying?

Who is buying these credits and what do they get out of it, tax write offs?
It's part of the push for carbon neutrality and zero net emissions. Large companies like Google, Microsoft, Delta, etc., are in a push to limit their "net" emissions of global greenhouse gases (GHG) to zero or close to it. Up sprung carbon credits to offset the emissions. 1 credit = 1 ton of carbon dioxide removed from the atmosphere. If the companies go over what their emission goal is, they can buy credits to offset it.

The way it's supposed to work, is forest owners who may be in a position to harvest timber, delay or limit that harvest for that year. If you can harvest that year and decide not to for whatever reason, then you basically qualify.

I submitted my property this morning for review. What was kind of interesting to me is it look like they are working off of some pretty old satellite imagery. It’s showing a section of my land that was cut 10 years ago or so to be pretty new according to their imagery. I don’t know that it’s going to give you the most accurate assessment of your timber tonnage.

Make sure you guys read the fine print. I don't know anything about this stuff, but I'd still advise proceeding w/ caution. Don't give up rights on your land.

Email with my approval said estimated payments this cycle (dec 8th) will be $5-10/credit which is way down. Seems like they have had to adjust the claim on how much uncut forest really provides in terms of carbon.

Email with my approval said estimated payments this cycle (dec 8th) will be $5-10/credit which is way down. Seems like they have had to adjust the claim on how much uncut forest really provides in terms of carbon.

Yeah I got the same thing last night. But I think I had like 720 credits so it’s not chump change if I decide to do it. I’m just trying to figure out what my downside is because I’m worried there’s always a catch.

Yeah, I feel the same way.

Or there are fewer buyers or more sellers.

According to their examples, my timber should yield a nearly $30/ac. They also indicated estimates of only about $10/ac as a realistic expectation. This inconsistency in their info really turned me off, so I didn’t pursue it. If I end up with more timbered acreage in the future, I may.

Interesting…. We have 138acres of mature burr oak timber, with some walnut and hickory scattered. Our assessment came back as 0 credits for the best year, because they said the timber wasn’t ready to harvest in the next 12-18 months.

We had a forester out last year and he made an offer on one section.

Not quite sure how they make their judgments.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

For anyone interested it looks like the deadline to submit is tomorrow. Is there any downside to this if you don't plan on cutting anything in 2022?

For anyone interested it looks like the deadline to submit is tomorrow. Is there any downside to this if you don't plan on cutting anything in 2022?
I submitted mine this am. I read the fine print for the most part and I didn’t see anything. Don’t take my word cause I’ve been known to miss things but I’m doing it.