Selling carbon credits

I submitted mine this am. I read the fine print for the most part and I didn’t see anything. Don’t take my word cause I’ve been known to miss things but I’m doing it.
How long after you submitted your land outlines before you were told your eligible acres?

few days for me

Less than a week for me.

You guys are braver than I am.

"Large companies like Google, Microsoft, Delta, etc., are in a push to limit their "net" emissions of global greenhouse gases (GHG) to zero"

When I read about stuff Bill gates is involved in and "the great reset" and people won't own anything by 2030, it scares me to death.
I'd rather fly under the radar than sign my land up for anything they may be involved in.
YMMV

Wow, I’m glad I saw this. I just submitted my land for a credit estimate. I have at least 350 acres of 80 year old oaks on my place. Looking at what some of you are getting, this might make the payment on all the orange toys I just bought!

You guys are braver than I am.

"Large companies like Google, Microsoft, Delta, etc., are in a push to limit their "net" emissions of global greenhouse gases (GHG) to zero"

When I read about stuff Bill gates is involved in and "the great reset" and people won't own anything by 2030, it scares me to death.
I'd rather fly under the radar than sign my land up for anything they may be involved in.
YMMV
As someone who works in this space, I'm not sure if you're risking much in this scenario. They are independent, year long contracts. Even your farming data isn't compromised because they don't really collect much. At this point, I think it's companies paying for these credits with an attempt for gaining public good will. The US government seems to be rejecting getting involved, so I'm seeing limited reasons companies are paying otherwise in this situation. Indigo and other players in this situation are gathering data that will have future value and are getting in early on farms. This scenario is quite a bit different.

What did you guys set your bid at?

The folks I worked with, NCX, deal in timber carbon credits. In this case, forest parcels are graded using aerial technology which allows them to determine the number of trees, the height and diameter of each, and species. From that information, they assign the number of “harvest deferral credits” you are permitted to offer for auction. I ended up 99 “credits” which they would auction off on a given date. I set my minimum acceptable price at $8.00 per credit. If the price the “buyers” were willing to pay did not reach this level, my credits would not sell and I get nothing. As it happened, the price at auction reached $12.00 per credit and that is what mine sold for. From what I can see, no one is going to get rich, but it does offset some taxes. You get paid at the end of the deferral period (12 mos.) There are other companies similar to NCX, but they are the ones I worked with.
So there was no fine print or catch with NCX? I submitted mine for evaluation

I got my eligibility report back with surprising results. I have 434 acres, they said I had 417, then they say I have 334 timbered acres. This is mostly oak and has not been logged in at least 80 years. They asses the acres as 51 deferral credits only. I’m out for that little cash I will not agree to anything. I’m wondering why my forest was assessed so low compared to others described above in this thread.

Last edited:
"
  • How do you determine the size of a prospective harvest?

NCX’s predictive algorithms determine the “business as usual” amount of harvesting on any tract of land, considering several variables like standing inventory, proximity to markets and transportation networks, prevailing market prices, and harvesting history on the tract. This business-as-usual harvesting estimate is shared with the landowner before they submit their bid.

• "

So maybe you are not in a "normal" timber area with saw mills, etc.? Or some place remote that a timber company would not want to travel to? Those are my only guesses.

"
  • How do you determine the size of a prospective harvest?

NCX’s predictive algorithms determine the “business as usual” amount of harvesting on any tract of land, considering several variables like standing inventory, proximity to markets and transportation networks, prevailing market prices, and harvesting history on the tract. This business-as-usual harvesting estimate is shared with the landowner before they submit their bid.

• "

So maybe you are not in a "normal" timber area with saw mills, etc.? Or some place remote that a timber company would not want to travel to? Those are my only guesses.
I’m in the ozarks and it’s a major timber industry. Logging and mills all over. I know I’ve got marketable timber. Interesting, well I wasn’t expecting anything so that’s what I’ll get lol

Last edited:
I had them look at my WI place and decided it wasn't worth the hassle. If I could get thousands of dollars maybe I'd be more interested, but for a few hundred bucks I'll pass.

I had them look at my WI place and decided it wasn't worth the hassle. If I could get thousands of dollars maybe I'd be more interested, but for a few hundred bucks I'll pass.
Ben I'm with you. When I saw that some guys were getting hundreds of credits for smaller parcels I was intrigued, but I'm not interested for a few hundred bucks either. I'm glad to know about the program, didn't find out about it until two days ago. I work for a large corporation that might be interested in offsets, we are very early in that process.

What is the driving force pushing your company to buy credits? Corporate good will?

I got my eligibility report back with surprising results. I have 434 acres, they said I had 417, then they say I have 334 timbered acres. This is mostly oak and has not been logged in at least 80 years. They asses the acres as 51 deferral credits only. I’m out for that little cash I will not agree to anything. I’m wondering why my forest was assessed so low compared to others described above in this thread.
I can’t make heads or tails of their methodology. I had to jump on it because I got a lot more credits than I thought I would. In contrast I have a buddy whose place is five times bigger than mine and he only received double the amount of credit. His place is largely timbered as well.

What is the driving force pushing your company to buy credits? Corporate good will?
Somewhat. Companies are trying to increase their ESG score. ESG stands for Environmental, Social, and Corporate Governance. There are large investment groups concerned for the environment that are steering corporate policy. At this point, there is no direct economic incentive for these investment groups, at least until public awareness and consumer spending shift these ways (in my opinion). I think these investment groups, and by extension the companies they are investing in, are betting that this is going to be very important in the near future even though it's not exactly being talked about around the coffee table or water cooler currently.

We are a large 5000 employee engineering firm. The war for talent is real. Increasingly youngsters really care about this stuff and when deciding where to work they take sustainability into account. When I was coming up I wanted to get paid, to work on interesting projects and to advance my career. Things are changing, people want to work at a place that they feel is aligned with their values more than just maximizing their paycheck. Maybe its not all bad. Broad generalizations are only sort of useful, but I've seen younger folks are less willing to slave away than my generation was. They understand the tradeoff and choose Wednesday afternoon bike rides or part time for six months after the wife has a child. They are probably happier, but they probably wont have a 400 acre deer hunting play ground, lol.

Last edited:
We are a large 5000 employee engineering firm. The war for talent is real. Increasingly youngsters really care about this stuff and when deciding where to work they take sustainability into account. When I was coming up I wanted to get paid, to work on interesting projects and to advance my career. Things are changing, people want to work at a place that they feel is aligned with their values more than just maximizing their paycheck. Maybe its not all bad. Broad generalizations are only sort of useful, but I've seen younger folks are less willing to slave away than my generation was. They understand the tradeoff and choose Wednesday afternoon bike rides or part time for six months after the wife has a child. They are probably happier, but they probably wont have a 400 acre deer hunting play ground, lol.
Absolutely spot on for everything. I fall into that category and my company largely attracts like-minded people. And I am starting to think it's going to be tough for anyone to be buying 400 acre play grounds from now on.

So there was no fine print or catch with NCX? I submitted mine for evaluation
I am no lawyer Weedy, but I did read the agreement closely and I did not see any red flags - but again, I am no lawyer. I also participated in a couple webinars they offered, and I though they answered every question openly and candidly. Just my opinion, but I am participating for 12 months.