Seed Ordering

Prelude8626

5 year old buck +
All.

Where do you have the best luck purchasing your seeds. We don’t have any old style co-ops left in my area. Are there any good online sources?

Shipping costs are going to be the costly factor for online purchases. It can cost up to $30 or more to ship a 50 pound bag of seed via one of the carriers. As I live 20 miles North of Madison, WI I use Deer Creek seed company. They are located in Windsor, WI which is just a 20 minute one way drive for me. If I am headed to Madison to run errands it is on the way. One can order online or with a phone call, pay with a credit or debit card, and stop by to pick up seed in person. They have just about every kind of seed a deer food plotter could need. I have been dealing with them for a few years and can say they are reputable people and have a good product at a fair price. They ship also.

Depends on where you're located. When I can't find something local I have used Welters seed with good luck and they split shipping.

Might be worth a drive to the closest co-op for large seed.

I have used both Welters and Deer Creek for smaller seeds and both are good to deal with. Larger seeds that generally come in 50lb bags like Oats, Rye, Corn etc, you are better off finding the closest feed mill. Shipping can add up on those in a hurry.

Depends on where you're located. When I can't find something local I have used Welters seed with good luck and they split shipping.

Might be worth a drive to the closest co-op for large seed.
They do split shipping but on 50lbs or more and not including Grain. I have used them a few times and happy with them.

Last Spring I ordered a 125 lbs of seed from them. Only half the order showed up. When I called they rectified it immedietly.

Grandpa Rays also has really good seed and John is a very knowledgeable guy.

I can get most of the seed I need from the local coop. There are times when I can't find what I need locally and there are times when even with shipping cost I can buy seed cheaper on-line. I've had good success with both Welters and Hancock.

I forget how blessed I am that Merit Seed is in my hometown. And the head seed guy is literally my neighbor. I could hit his house with my bow. If I have questions, I can get answers pretty easily

It also depends on what variety you want. They don't all carry the same stuff.
I like Welters.
Green Cover Seed has their Smartmix Calculator and I love that thing. No matter where you buy your seed, the calculator is really helpful and fun to play with. Its addictive. Green Cover Seed also sell a pretty nice variety of stuff, too.
Ernst Seed is great for native plantings. They do sell some forage type seed, but they have a ton of native stuff.

Northwoods Whitetails has very high quality seed. We also get corn beans from our coop.

Agree with Boone. I have planted Egyptian Wheat from North Woods and it turned out great as a screen. It is just now breaking over with the last snow storm that we had.