Seed companies.

Green Cover Seed. Great website with a lot of user tools and tons of seed. Get ready to spend some time on their Smartmix calculator! They specialize in cover crops and soil health. Not enough of us worry about soil health. Develop and protect healthy soil and your plots will be better and costs will be less.

Welters. I've used them for years. Good people and lots of seed varieties.

Granpa Ray. Bought a few things fro them last year. Seems decent and they offer a few things that I haven't seen elsewhere.
What from grandpa ray did you use. And how successful was it.

What from grandpa ray did you use. And how successful was it.
Rutabaga. My wife loves to eat the crap and I thought I could grow some for her and some for the deer...seems like the deer ate it all before it could develop bulbs. Not sure if that was a success or not...depends on who you ask...her or the deer:emoji_grin:
Rutabaga is yet another brassica that depends on how your deer use it. My deer eat brassica long before it matures.
The Granpa Ray site has a pile of great videos to check out.

Rutabaga. My wife loves to eat the crap and I thought I could grow some for her and some for the deer...seems like the deer ate it all before it could develop bulbs. Not sure if that was a success or not...depends on who you ask...her or the deer:emoji_grin:
Rutabaga is yet another brassica that depends on how your deer use it. My deer eat brassica long before it matures.
The Granpa Ray site has a pile of great videos to check out.
I spend about an hour looking through their sites reading some reviews and watching some videos on YouTube. Also spoke with a bunch of numbers on here via private message about what to plan on my logging trails. Then I came across their logging trail mix after someone on another post had suggested it. It looks great to me I’m just not sure how we will do for a fall planting as far as attractiveness is concerned. I may go with a mix of perennial and annual plowed down clover on one section and then a serial grain with clover and brassica on another. And see how it turns out

I have tried most of the buck on the bag mixes and even sold some for a couple which by the way the companies just have sales people like me to buy a bunch of seed and then you don't hear from them again,they even neglected to put my contact info on their website.Every farming community has a seed dealer somewhere fairly close I bet,so why pay shipping.About the only thing I order now is chicory.Alot of times you can get really good deals buying broken bags or leftover seed

keep in mind the opportunities through the nwtf program, vary from state to state but well worth looking into.

Welcome back ...

I use my local Co-op for most things, but for seeds that i have trouble finding around here in Pa like, Egyptian wheat, cowpeas, ect i use hancock, and have always been impressed with how fast they ship, 2-4 days and its on my porch. I used to hit up tractor supply for clearance buck on bag seed, and one year i got 4 bags of Redzone for only 9.99 a bag, and that was the last year i saw t.s carry it, wish they would get it again. Has anyone had any luck with Seed Ranch online? they seem to have a real good selection, even have smaller amounts of eagle beans.

I use my local Co-op for most things, but for seeds that i have trouble finding around here in Pa like, Egyptian wheat, cowpeas, ect i use hancock, and have always been impressed with how fast they ship, 2-4 days and its on my porch. I used to hit up tractor supply for clearance buck on bag seed, and one year i got 4 bags of Redzone for only 9.99 a bag, and that was the last year i saw t.s carry it, wish they would get it again. Has anyone had any luck with Seed Ranch online? they seem to have a real good selection, even have smaller amounts of eagle beans.
I have used them for RR alfalfa. Very fast shipping

I have used them for RR alfalfa. Very fast shipping

Just curious of the credentials a guy needs to order some of that :)

Just curious of the credentials a guy needs to order some of that :)

Just a signed technology agreement with Monsanto. Read the agreement and make sure you can hold up your end before you go that route.

Very stringent you need a phone and a credit card :emoji_smile:

No need for anything Yoder said just a phone and a credit card !

How much longer before the patent runs out on the seeds that are RR? Can't be too many more years, then more companies will be able market their own RR seed. The prices will drop and these agreements will be non existent. Same thing that happened when Monsanto had the patent on Roundup (glyphosate) and they had all the rights to glyphosate.

Those of you ordering food plot seed from Welters, do they pay half shipping on it usually? The reading of it is a little vague. They have in the past for me, but I'm wondering if it's out of kindness and not their policy.

No need for anything Yoder said just a phone and a credit card !
Are you saying Monsanto no longer requires an agreement or are you saying that there are sellers out there who will ignore the requirement?

How much longer before the patent runs out on the seeds that are RR? Can't be too many more years, then more companies will be able market their own RR seed. The prices will drop and these agreements will be non existent. Same thing that happened when Monsanto had the patent on Roundup (glyphosate) and they had all the rights to glyphosate.

Monsanto is well past that. The glyphosate resistant weed problem will make glyphosate by itself obsolete for production farming before the patent on RR seeds runs out. Monsanto is well positioned for the next leg. Bayer is the "competitor" with liberty link.

Thanks,

jack

Those of you ordering food plot seed from Welters, do they pay half shipping on it usually? The reading of it is a little vague. They have in the past for me, but I'm wondering if it's out of kindness and not their policy.

They do but not on all seed.

Mortenson - I have the Welter's catalog in my hands. It says - " We pay 1/2 shipping on all grass seeds, forbs and small-seeded legumes on orders of 50 lbs. or more. " That's their stated policy right from the back page of the catalog.

Are you saying Monsanto no longer requires an agreement or are you saying that there are sellers out there who will ignore the requirement?
All I can say is I order the seed and they have never asked me for a number of any kind.

All I can say is I order the seed and they have never asked me for a number of any kind.

My point then holds. I would not advise anyone to plan on purchasing GMO seed without looking into any technology agreements the patent holders require for sale or purchase of seed. You may or may not be able to use the seed in the way you intend. I've personally focused on the Monsanto agreement for beans and corn and make sure I can use them for my purpose within the bounds of the agreement. I have scanned the portions of the agreement for other crops and noticed that some have tighter restrictions. Since those crops are not part of my plan anyway, I have not done a deep dive into them.

While sellers may have more liability than buyers, that does not automatically relieve the buyer of all liability.

I'm certainly not disagreeing with you that it can't be done and that there are not sellers willing to do it.

Thanks,

Jack

Many plotters on the Michigan Sportsman Forums purchase from:

http://www.northwoodswhitetails.com/

Excellent products and service.

Have also had excellent service from Welter Seed - and yes, they do pay 1/2 of the shipping costs as noted on the website.