Screw in steps

trampledbyturtles

5 year old buck +
Anyone still use them?

Thinking about going back to them after using the three rung strap on variety for years.

Just feel they are quieter going up and down. After awhile the other kind creek and grown and the straps wear out. Not to mention some trees are just to big around.

This would be for permanent sets on private in known locations where the stand may only get hunted one or twice a season.

Understand the safety concerns with slipping and potentially getting hurt. But I do attach life lines to each set.

I mostly have double ladder stands, but do have a couple spots where I use 6" grade 8 bolts. I use the Treehopper drill to make the holes. I cover the bolts in rubber shrink tubing on all but the part that goes into the tree. You can buy a ton of them for a lot cheaper than screw in steps.

Anyone still use them?

Thinking about going back to them after using the three rung strap on variety for years.

Just feel they are quieter going up and down. After awhile the other kind creek and grown and the straps wear out. Not to mention some trees are just to big around.

This would be for permanent sets on private in known locations where the stand may only get hunted one or twice a season.

Understand the safety concerns with slipping and potentially getting hurt. But I do attach life lines to each set.

I wouldn't recommend them. They are very dangerous if you fall. Over time they can pull out. When it comes to safety, I weigh it much higher. Like Ben, I too have stopped using hang-on stands because of safety. I think they are plenty safe for a younger man and they were my favorite when I was young because you can go around branches and conceal them better. However, as I've gotten older, I've gone more to ladder stands and box blinds. When I was using the, I did not noticed enough noise from climbing sticks for it to be a hunting issue.

Thanks,

Jack

I just realized I may have a few still screwed in an old dogwood tree at my grandparents place. I probably put them in 15 years ago. But no. I dont use them anymore.

I call them gut hooks. My brothers neighbor slipped and and got caught on one, they found him that night still hanging from the screw in step. They figured he slipped on his way up and hung there all day and into the night before they realized he should be back home and someone went and looked for him.

I have some on a tree, with a hang on stand, but I haven’t used that stand since then. That’s been about 5 years ago.

I’m not a fan. I like my muddy pro sticks for a hang and hunt. Stackable climbing sticks for more permanent stands.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have hawk heliums and I hunt out of a saddle. Other than a preset ladder stand, I'll only ever use a saddle for hunting. The sticks can need some getting used to for packing and carrying in, but they are very safe. I always use a linesman's belt with a ropeman 1 ascendor for going up and down the tree.

I use them as bow/gear hangers just above my ladder stands. Also to store fishing rods on my garage wall.
Like Jack said I’m to old to trust them now for climbing anything, maybe more of a young mans thing.

I've got a plastic bin full of about 3 dozen old screw in steps that I haven't used in 15 years or so. Dangerous if you fall. A pain to install. I use a few above my stands as a hand grab as I enter and egress my stands. I use some for bow and gear holders. And every now and then I will use 2 or 3 as the first steps from the ground if I know I need a few extra feet of height above what my sticks provide. But no, I largely no longer use them.

I use them pretty regularly. I have multiple sets and stacking sticks are so dang expensive, though I do have several sets of those too. I won’t buy more but I will continue to use the ones I have because they are already in place

I use them as bow/gear hangers just above my ladder stands. Also to store fishing rods on my garage wall.
Like Jack said I’m to old to trust them now for climbing anything, maybe more of a young mans thing.

Ditto ^^^^^

I've used screw in steps my whole life and still do today. I tried climbing sticks but there is always that one metal on metal "pop" that makes me regret tiptoeing all the way there.

No thanks, too risky safety wise. Harness or not, it's a serious gaff to your side.

I use cheap 20' Ameristep / Big Game sticks. Then wrap the pins and the 5' section intersections with black hockey tape. Boom, good to go. Quiet and solid.

That's what I use on 90% of my pre set stands. I trust those more than straps being left out for years.

I've used screw in steps my whole life and still do today. I tried climbing sticks but there is always that one metal on metal "pop" that makes me regret tiptoeing all the way there.
Yeah I have some expensive muddy sticks and they pop every time I put weight on them. Drives me insane. My line wolf ones are really sturdy though

Yeah I have some expensive muddy sticks and they pop every time I put weight on them. Drives me insane. My line wolf ones are really sturdy though

I use the Guide Gear 25' sticks, very sturdy and no noise whatsoever. Angled steps reduce slippage otwards.

Anyone still use them?

Screw in steps were a much better solution than a board nailed to a tree. Way too much safety concern for me.