Screens?

[

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I may have a devil of a time trying to get white pines to grow with the deer population. Am I crazy to consider something like eastern red cedar (of which we have a lot of around here). Your plan makes sense though in the long term.

Anyone have a suggestion on how wide of a EW screen i should plant? I’ve seen suggestions that you should broadcast at much higher rates than commonly used when drilled/planted in rows. Any suggestions on planting rate? Trying to get pounds per acre should be interesting since it’ll be in a long row and not so easy to calculate. Hopefully I can just set my broadcast spreader appropriately and get close. I’ll probably plant the EW with my Solo chest spreader.

As for permanent screen you are wise to be concerned about White Pine in high populations. I am being serious here, and giving my best recollection of what we planted. As near as I can recall, we planted over 25,000 white pines seedlings one year. We rented a planter and some were planted by hand. At the time a friend of mine had a mining reclamation crew that planted many items for reclamation. 18 months later we had zero white pines alive and doing well. So I defer to anyone and everyone to help you with permanent screens.

As for annual screens, It took me a long time but I am very happy with what we do now. First, I don’t like Egyptian wheat. It never seems to get a strong enough stalk to stand. Tried it several times, never again. The thing that I like best is Frigid Forage’s Plot Screen to Start.

I say start, because you can buy very similar seeds at Welters in Iowa. However, for your first year I would buy 50% of your seed at Welters. If you want I will look and tell you exactly what we plant. The other 50% use the Frigid Forest. Yes it is far more expensive, but until you get your recipe down it is worth it because once any of this stuff falls over from wind or snow you are done and you have wasted time and money. Here are my keys to success.

1. It takes a lot and I mean a lot of urea to make the stalks thick enough to stand. I use about the equivalent of 400 pounds per acre.
2. Plant your screen early. It takes a while to mature and you want it growing strong before the dry part of the summer. I shoot for having mine planted before June 1.
3. Do NOT plant the seed too heavy. I drill mine and use about 9 to 10 pounds per acre of a mix.
4. Make sure you kill your competition before you plant with Gly or some method such as tilling several times well in advance.
5. For me we use the small no-till drill and plant three 6 foot strips. That makes an 18 foot screen. We have beans right on the road and you can’t see crap in them when everyone wants to glass bean fields.

Finally, it isn’t fool proof and doesn’t work perfect every year, but I have been trying to perfect them for about 15 years and that is what I do. I have left out a lot of things that didn’t work.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk[/QUOTE]

Thank you for the info. I am fine with trying the Frigid Forage plot screen but if you have the recipe from Welters that would be great as well. I am going to experiment this year and see what I can get done. Do you have any pictures of your screens in November?

I don’t have a drill and probably won’t have one for next year either. I’ll be broadcasting but should be able to plant the stand accordingly. 18’ seems fairly wide, but if that’s what it takes to get a legit screen.

This is my screen to my main blind. It's an NWSG field with Big Blue, Switch, Indian and Little Blue. Not for everyone, but something to consider.

ZCIN0soh.jpg

In9LdLYh.jpg

vXY8cxph.jpg

Native,

I don’t want to use it for a screen, but I have a couple fields very similar to the ones in your picture that I would like to plant the same recipe. HOWEVER, I don’t know anything about getting the fields ready, how to seed or anything. Do you mind giving me the high points and if I think I can do it I may send you a pm.

My only concern is I question whether I can ever burn mine. Long story.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Native,

I don’t want to use it for a screen, but I have a couple fields very similar to the ones in your picture that I would like to plant the same recipe. HOWEVER, I don’t know anything about getting the fields ready, how to seed or anything. Do you mind giving me the high points and if I think I can do it I may send you a pm.

My only concern is I question whether I can ever burn mine. Long story.

I sent you a PM.

[

Thank you for the info. I am fine with trying the Frigid Forage plot screen but if you have the recipe from Welters that would be great as well. I am going to experiment this year and see what I can get done. Do you have any pictures of your screens in November?

I don’t have a drill and probably won’t have one for next year either. I’ll be broadcasting but should be able to plant the stand accordingly. 18’ seems fairly wide, but if that’s what it takes to get a legit screen.[/QUOTE]

Here is what I really like to use. 6 pounds of Frigid Forage Plot Screen (it seems to get taller than anything else I can find and I can’t find that exact seed that is on the germination label). 3 pounds of Redtop Plus BMR Forage Sorghum Hybrid. 2 pounds of Bundle King Forage Sorghum and 1 pound of WGS. The WGS helps is stand in my opinion.

For your first year, go ahead and plant a 12 foot screen and see if that is enough. I admit to being a little crazy on the screens. The best way to fertilize it is to have someone sit on the front or back of an ATV and let them throw it by hand as you drive. 3pt spreaders throw it too wide.

Broadcasting will be fine. I would seed it by hand if I were you. Other ATV seeders are going to throw the seed too wide. I usually put down 50 pounds an acre of fertilizer when you plant and then let it get about 12 inches tall and put the rest down right before a heavy rain.

The first year, why don’t you go with a total of 250-300 pounds of urea. You soil is probably a little better than mine.

[

I don’t have a drill and probably won’t have one for next year either. I’ll be broadcasting but should be able to plant the stand accordingly. 18’ seems fairly wide, but if that’s what it takes to get a legit screen.[/QUOTE]

Here is what I really like to use. 6 pounds of Frigid Forage Plot Screen (it seems to get taller than anything else I can find and I can’t find that exact seed that is on the germination label). 3 pounds of Redtop Plus BMR Forage Sorghum Hybrid. 2 pounds of Bundle King Forage Sorghum and 1 pound of WGS. The WGS helps is stand in my opinion.

For your first year, go ahead and plant a 12 foot screen and see if that is enough. I admit to being a little crazy on the screens. The best way to fertilize it is to have someone sit on the front or back of an ATV and let them throw it by hand as you drive. 3pt spreaders throw it too wide.

Broadcasting will be fine. I would seed it by hand if I were you. Other ATV seeders are going to throw the seed too wide. I usually put down 50 pounds an acre of fertilizer when you plant and then let it get about 12 inches tall and put the rest down right before a heavy rain.

The first year, why don’t you go with a total of 250-300 pounds of urea. You soil is probably a little better than mine.

Thank you WTNUT. I plan to plant all the screens by hand with my Solo chest spreader. I will probably use a ground driven ATV spreader for the fertilizer instead of my 3 pt spreader. I’ve got a great 12’ cultipacker so a 12’ planting width would be perfect. I’m also planning to buy a 72” tiller to use so that also works well with 12’ width.

[

I don’t have a drill and probably won’t have one for next year either. I’ll be broadcasting but should be able to plant the stand accordingly. 18’ seems fairly wide, but if that’s what it takes to get a legit screen.

Thank you WTNUT. I plan to plant all the screens by hand with my Solo chest spreader. I will probably use a ground driven ATV spreader for the fertilizer instead of my 3 pt spreader. I’ve got a great 12’ cultipacker so a 12’ planting width would be perfect. I’m also planning to buy a 72” tiller to use so that also works well with 12’ width.[/QUOTE]

That sounds PERFECT. I STARTED with a Solo spreader in 2002 believe it or not. I did not have a single piece of equipment. They work great. The tiller is a great addition for the recipe. Cultipacking will help a lot too.

I forgot to mention. I would go take some screen pics tomorrow BUT the area that was in beans and needed screens this year was an area that I agreed to let a young whipper snapper try his hand and habitat management this year as part of his college course. I told him to plant three passes. He was so proud that he made five passes. The big problem was he made all five passes in the same 6 foot pass. Yep, five times as much seed in a 6 foot section as we needed. It wasn’t a complete failure but it isn’t very good. No way you could feed and water that much. And, when it is real heavy like that it blows over too easily.

Just got back to the farm from picking my son up at the airport. Won't be around much the next few days.

I posted this in another thread a few weeks ago. This Miscanthus screen was planted in the spring of 2014 so it's now 5 seasons old. The year before I planted red cedar seedlings and left them to fend for themselves. The cedars are finally about 2-3 foot tall.

Miscanthus likes N.Missouri that I'm sure of.

View attachment 21576
I've seen this picture a couple times, and based on my level of jealousy, I'd say you're just showing off now...

That is exactly what people dream of when it comes to MG grass screens

Just got back to the farm from picking my son up at the airport. Won't be around much the next few days.

I posted this in another thread a few weeks ago. This Miscanthus screen was planted in the spring of 2014 so it's now 5 seasons old. The year before I planted red cedar seedlings and left them to fend for themselves. The cedars are finally about 2-3 foot tall.

Miscanthus likes N.Missouri that I'm sure of.

Now,thats just f***in gorgeous......

bill
View attachment 21576

I've seen this picture a couple times, and based on my level of jealousy, I'd say you're just showing off now...

That is exactly what people dream of when it comes to MG grass screens

I just finished my 10th day of not hunting gun season but seriously looking for road hunters. "You can't find them when you're in a stand". Let's just say, I've got a problem! On a large piece I lease. If I can get the owner to lease me enough crop ground I'm going to have several miles of MG in my future. Probably a wet dream but I'm going to try.

^^^^^^^^Vermin

bill

I just finished my 10th day of not hunting gun season but seriously looking for road hunters. "You can't find them when you're in a stand". Let's just say, I've got a problem! On a large piece I lease. If I can get the owner to lease me enough crop ground I'm going to have several miles of MG in my future. Probably a wet dream but I'm going to try.

I love it. Seems like you and I both subscribe to the "if a little bit is good, a lot is much better" philosophy...

You need any help planting? I'll come help, Just need a stand to sit in a couple days come hunting season :D

If you end up doing this I would be happy to come by and be free labor so I can learn a few things. My guess is we probably aren’t more than a couple hours at most from each other. I definitely want to get started on some MG screens.

If you end up doing this I would be happy to come by and be free labor so I can learn a few things. My guess is we probably aren’t more than a couple hours at most from each other. I definitely want to get started on some MG screens.

I just planted the seed so to speak with the owner. I've been leasing for 12 years and we have a great relationship but I've learned over the years change is something he won't do overnight. It took me 3 years to get him to turn over 2 acres of ag ground for clover plots. If I asked outright, I'd get shot down. Figured If I plant the seed and cultivate it I may have an outside chance...

It isn't quick like MG, EW, or S/SD - but for those that have time ……...…. a double row of Norway spruce planted in an offset pattern, then a row of Washington hawthorn will give you a screen that'll last for 50+ years. Nobody will see through it, and it'll provide lots of good bird cover for nesting. Birds that eat bad insects. Needle-like thorns will keep trespassers from venturing through it, too.

I'm sure you could put in a row of red cedar instead of one of the spruce rows if you don't have apple trees. You could also plant MG or EW for a quick screen until the tree varieties get big enough. It depends on your time frame I suppose.

I put in a screen of Egyptian wheat on a side hill to separate a 12 acre field from a lower lying 6 acre field. There was a three week period this summer where I only got .4 of an inch of rain. The EW still grew to over 10 feet tall and provided a great screen. I will mow it down in early spring and replant the are with the other half of the 50 pound bag I have left in my basement.

I put in a screen of Egyptian wheat on a side hill to separate a 12 acre field from a lower lying 6 acre field. There was a three week period this summer where I only got .4 of an inch of rain. The EW still grew to over 10 feet tall and provided a great screen. I will mow it down in early spring and replant the are with the other half of the 50 pound bag I have left in my basement.
Out if curiosity where are you located and how is your EW holding up the weather in your area this fall?

My land is in the Town of Almond, Portage county WI. The EW is holding up rather well. The 9 day gun deer season just ended and it is still providing the screen for which it was planted. There has not been any real amounts of snow. Once that happens, I expect it will cause the EW to fall over and the deer can then eat the seed heads.

It is my first year with EW as a screen and I must say I was pleasantly surprised by the height to which it grew in spite of less than ideal rain amounts. I will be planting the other half of the 50 pound bag in the same area next spring.

My land is in the Town of Almond, Portage county WI. The EW is holding up rather well. The 9 day gun deer season just ended and it is still providing the screen for which it was planted. There has not been any real amounts of snow. Once that happens, I expect it will cause the EW to fall over and the deer can then eat the seed heads.

It is my first year with EW as a screen and I must say I was pleasantly surprised by the height to which it grew in spite of less than ideal rain amounts. I will be planting the other half of the 50 pound bag in the same area next spring.
How wide did you plant your screen?

I planted the EW screen to conform with the slight side hill that is directly South of a 12 acre piece that I rent to a local farmer. It varies from about 12 to 20 feet wide over the length of the rented field. This year the farmer had RR ag soy beans in the field as he had severe winter kill to his alfalfa. This is in preparation by him of a 2019 spring planting of alfalfa with oats as a cover crop.
Unfortunately, when he had the field sprayed with generic roundup there was some spray drift that killed about 2 to 4 feet of the very North edge of the EW. So I still ended up with a strip that was 10 to 16 feet wide. I found more deer coming into the 6 acre lower field because of the EW screen this season. As he picked the soy beans, I have no way to determine if the deer came out earlier in the 12 acre field. It will be in alfalfa next year, so I am looking forward to seeing more deer during shooting hours in it.
Essentially, it cut down the larger field into two smaller fields with another edge in each of them for the deer to utilize. I believe the deer feel much more secure in the 6 acre field because of the EW screen. For the price of the EW and the fact that I only used 1/2 of the 50 pound bag, I am happy with the results and will be doing it again in 2019. I will try to plant the EW a lot earlier than this season to give it time to grow as tall as possible.