Scrap material "Shanty" box blind

Camp 2 Dukes

5 year old buck +
Here is a unit we call "The Shanty". I built this out of scrap material, pallets, and finished it off inside with tongue and groove box car pine I pulled out of a dumpster at a remodel project. This one sits on a mound directly behind my house. I tried to make it feel like we're at the cabin when we don't have the time to make the trek. I didn't take that many pics of the build. It sits on (2) 2X10's as skids. It did end up being really heavy. I drug it up to the hill with the tractor after 12" of fresh wet snow. It took an hour and a half to get it up the hill but the next morning we saw 3 bucks from it.IMG_0651.jpg

Very, very nice!

My first box blind was built entirely out of reclaimed wood from pallets and other materials I had laying around. The only thing I bought was the hardware and fasteners. Mine isn't the prettiest thing you ever saw, but it serves it's purpose. Glad to see I'm not the only one who looks at materials like that and sees what could be.

Did you built the windows such that you have to be standing to shoot? Or is the pic just at such an angle?

Did you built the windows such that you have to be standing to shoot? Or is the pic just at such an angle?
It must just look like that in the pic but we have no problem shooting from the 2 chairs we have in there.

My first box blind was built entirely out of reclaimed wood from pallets and other materials I had laying around. The only thing I bought was the hardware and fasteners. Mine isn't the prettiest thing you ever saw, but it serves it's purpose. Glad to see I'm not the only one who looks at materials like that and sees what could be.
I love repurposing this type of thing. I also like how this one looks rough on the outside but sweet on the inside.

I have duct spools that my company gets and and have been trying to figure out build blinds out of,I have several different sizes.duct spool.jpg

I have duct spools that my company gets and and have been trying to figure out build blinds out of,I have several different sizes.View attachment 11820
What are the dimensions? Those might make killer pods. You might be able to make round bale blinds with them as well.

I love repurposing this type of thing. I also like how this one looks rough on the outside but sweet on the inside.
That's where you got me beat - mine looks like hammed crap both inside and out!!!!:D

I have duct spools that my company gets and and have been trying to figure out build blinds out of,I have several different sizes.View attachment 11820
Those would be great frames if you are handy with a welder/torch depending on the size. Like was said either as a bale blind set up or even if you stood them up on end and made a round "stump" type blind. You just have to see the potential and give it a shot. You will learn what to do and what not to do after a few builds until you work the kinks out, but that is all part of it.

We use those exact reels for upright ground blinds. We take two intact reels, one for the top, one for the bottom. Then we cut the insides out of three reels and use the circles for the interior bracing and window openings. Take a few of the pieces cut out to weld the circles together. Then you can cut out a door and weld it together. Just cover the sides/top with roofing metal and a piece of plywood for the floor and you have a one person blind with a 360 degree view. We leave the windows open, but some friends have been able to put windows in them by creating portholes for standard rectangular windows. We call them "tin can" stands.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have them all the way from 5ft to around 8ft.I was thinking of putting in studs and then wrapping in tin or maybe some stuff I found from a place called sandhill plastics

I have them all the way from 5ft to around 8ft.I was thinking of putting in studs and then wrapping in tin or maybe some stuff I found from a place called sandhill plastics

If you wrap them in tin you have to put something on the roof and paint it so it looks like a giant beer can!!!!:D

If you wrap them in tin you have to put something on the roof and paint it so it looks like a giant beer can!!!!:D
It would be too funny. I can see someone doing a vinyl wrap on it. Maybe this beer label?

Buck Naked Beer Label.jpg

Wouldn't mind that when I was younger but now the wife would probably just tell me to go buy a redneck