Scoring question..

Jrozzi16

5 year old buck +
I need to get this accurate as this deer is going to be entered into an online competition. I get the basics of scoring however this buck has something unique I don’t know how to handle. The way the first mass measurement reads according to this scoring sheet says “smallest point between burr and first point. The first point is literally at the burr. Does this mean that point becomes the “G1” and then the second point, which in this case is what most would consider the brow tine, become the G2 ? If so do I measure around the burr or would you measure above that first abnormal point ?

fec9f0e9593bc47c31f181dce40f2007.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That point doesn't count if you are scoring a typical rack. I think it will actually be a deduction if you are scoring the rack as typical.

They don’t do net

That point doesn't count if you are scoring a typical rack. I think it will actually be a deduction if you are scoring the rack as typical.

They don’t do net, I would consider it typical…it has split brows and that weird point.

Not a pro, but IMO you will take the H1 in between those two points, the crotch. The brow (G1) is the higher of the two. The lower is an abnormal. @SWIFFY loves these questions.

And congrats on a nice buck. Show a full pic if you want. If you have early season trail pics, looks like it probably snapped off a matching bur point opposite.

And congrats on a nice buck. Show a full pic if you want. If you have early season trail pics, looks like it probably snapped off a matching bur point opposite.

Thank you, I had no history with this buck had never seen him before that’s with running 12 cuddebacks on 120 acres. Killed him on 11/19. Biggest one of my life. Was actually my 3rd buck of the season between illinois and Indiana.
ae713da58203381cf51e09b53a48a9ab.jpg

de860826682a72a284b0d0eaf538bfff.jpg

Nice buck..

Not a pro, but IMO you will take the H1 in between those two points, the crotch. The brow (G1) is the higher of the two. The lower is an abnormal. @SWIFFY loves these questions.

This using a 1/4in steel tape.

Narrowest point in between. Burr and max outside, etc are just for retention data. Mass of tines is lost. That being said- congrats on a couple of smashers. Score is cool for comparison sake but “1/8th” is the only common denominator between deer and that can’t touch experience.

Congratulations! Those are all some big big deer! Wow!

This is how I see you would score that. 1st point is definitely an abnormal. You can maybe score it from the pedicle if it’s growing out of the burr and not above (it’s complicated).
9102E179-1DBA-4DB1-AD88-ADFBF4572D13.jpeg

Congratulations! Those are all some big big deer! Wow!

This is how I see you would score that. 1st point is definitely an abnormal. You can maybe score it from the pedicle if it’s growing out of the burr and not above (it’s complicated).
View attachment 47766

Thank ya swiffy that’s pretty much what I did, only you were a little more generous on where you started the measurement for the abnormal point, but there’s maybe a half inch difference. I was just confused on the verbiage of the H1 saying “between the burr and the first point” it should say “first normal point”.

Thanks everyone for your help.

Thank you, I had no history with this buck had never seen him before that’s with running 12 cuddebacks on 120 acres. Killed him on 11/19. Biggest one of my life. Was actually my 3rd buck of the season between illinois and Indiana.
ae713da58203381cf51e09b53a48a9ab.jpg

de860826682a72a284b0d0eaf538bfff.jpg

Great deer!!

Nice deer, hell of a season you're having!