Sandbar Willows VS RedOshier Dogwoods

It's a good relationship, Our land butts up to one another and we have the same goals. What benefits him benefits me and vis versa. He just doesn't like the fact that his shelter belts now have ROD all over them cause the birds carry the berries over there to eat/crap out and they volunteer. He did agree that the deer love them.

I'm sure he would let me cut all I wanted to cut if I decided to go that route.

I've got some willows around as well. The deer hammer those back to the point that they are hard to find in the grass.

Willows are more natural in my part of the world that's for sure. Which may make the willows more appealing to plant, or maybe it'd be the ROD that's more appealing....Decisions

I think your biggest issue with grasses is that some, such as reed canary grass, will fold over smothering cuttings and the new growth. You may need to consider tall cuttings or tree tubes. Or you may have to spray pockets with Gly to allow them to grow.

I have also never heard someone state ... I have too much ROD on my property. Thickets do a wonderful job or guiding deer through open grass areas.

I am looking at planting a row in an area between to ag fields.It is about 60ft wide and was going to plant 1 row the length of it.Anyone have an idea on spacing?

I am looking at planting a row in an area between to ag fields.It is about 60ft wide and was going to plant 1 row the length of it.Anyone have an idea on spacing?
you can space them however you want. How thick do you want them? I’ve saw anywhere from 2-10’ recommended.

If you want a scree, go 2' apart. Assume that some won't make it and you will have to do a 2nd planting. I would do 2 rows.

Maybe stagger them with 2 rows

Other than the old farmstead willow trees which I wouldn’t use, why not try a collection of any willow cuttings growing nearby. I know diamond willow, which I think is called Bebbs, but there are many varieties of willows. Diversity with ROD might be great.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk