Saftey harness,climb ropes

Started with a harness last year.
Added life lines to every stand this yr.

So a question to everyone with a little more experience with this.

Are you removing the lifelines from the tree an storing them indoors after the season? Then reattaching them before season?

Or do u just leave them in place?

The instructions on the Summit life lines warns the user not to leave them in place for more than 2 weeks. Seems ridiculous. That's probably just a disclaimer to cover their bases. But no, I do not leave mine out. I leave nothing out during the off-season except my ladder stands, straps loosened and home made covers strapped over the mesh seats.

Are you removing the lifelines from the tree an storing them indoors after the season? Then reattaching them before season?

I remove at the end of the season, check it over and if bad throw away, or put back up the following year.

If you will go to my post above you will see I carry my rope in with me. The reason I do is because in addition to a lot of other things, I am in the manufacturing business. After my friend died from his tree stand fall, I wanted to design a better life line. Why researching I called every outdoor rope manufacturer out there and everyone said it is NOT safe to leave lines/ropes for extended periods. I defer to the manufacturer (actually the promoter and company selling the life lines because I am pretty sure they are buying their rope) as to how long they leave the ropes out. BUT, FOR ME I WOULD NOT TRUST A LIFE LINE TO BE OUT FROM SEPT 1 TO JANUARY 31 BASED ON WHAT I WAS TOLD. So I would suggest you bring them in at the end of the season and inquire further as to how long they can be left out.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

If you will go to my post above you will see I carry my rope in with me. The reason I do is because in addition to a lot of other things, I am in the manufacturing business. After my friend died from his tree stand fall, I wanted to design a better life line. Why researching I called every outdoor rope manufacturer out there and everyone said it is NOT safe to leave lines/ropes for extended periods. I defer to the manufacturer (actually the promoter and company selling the life lines because I am pretty sure they are buying their rope) as to how long they leave the ropes out. BUT, FOR ME I WOULD NOT TRUST A LIFE LINE TO BE OUT FROM SEPT 1 TO JANUARY 31 BASED ON WHAT I WAS TOLD. So I would suggest you bring them in at the end of the season and inquire further as to how long they can be left out.

Can you explain the lag bolt you use? Your method for humping in your rope each time you hunt is definitely the safest. But how is it tied off to the top of the tree? I understand you have paracord that you use to bring your safety rope up and through the J hook. Is the lag just that...a lag hook? If so, have you tested that? I like your extra planning and extra effort for safety, but to me a lag in a tree is the weakest link to your whole system. Not sure I would trust 200 pounds of falling weight on a lag in a living tree. Maybe I missed something.

Thanks.

Also, I've witnessed guys climbing holding the knot. I've always thought that was a bad idea. If you fall holding the knot, what's to stop you from sliding the knot down as you race back to earth! I'm sure someone more knowledgeable can chime in, but I always slide the knot, then climb without holding it.

Maybe I'm just not that smart....been accused of that before. How does a safety line work with a ladder stand? The "ladder" portion has you well away from the tree...how are you sliding the knot or other wise have enough tension to not have so much slack to create a violent stop? Most of my ladder are only 12 or 15 feet as it is. Does somebody have a "diagram" or picture or something....

I say all of this as I do not use a safety line. I have used a harness for years, but it's not fastened until I am at the top of the stand. I realize that isn't the best way to do it, but like was mentioned I know leaving ropes out and exposed is bad for them and I am still perplexed as to how to do this with a ladder type stand configuration.

I hate to say this....but safety is one of those things that is often overlooked because it's not "easy/simple/convenient".

Maybe I'm just not that smart....been accused of that before. How does a safety line work with a ladder stand? The "ladder" portion has you well away from the tree...how are you sliding the knot or other wise have enough tension to not have so much slack to create a violent stop? Most of my ladder are only 12 or 15 feet as it is. Does somebody have a "diagram" or picture or something....

I say all of this as I do not use a safety line. I have used a harness for years, but it's not fastened until I am at the top of the stand. I realize that isn't the best way to do it, but like was mentioned I know leaving ropes out and exposed is bad for them and I am still perplexed as to how to do this with a ladder type stand configuration.

I hate to say this....but safety is one of those things that is often overlooked because it's not "easy/simple/convenient".

j-bird, I had that same thought. I also do not use vertical safety lines in my ladder stands, but was convinced to do so in this thread. Can't really tie the lower end off to the tree. I assume the lower end is tied off to the lower rung of the ladder.

j-bird, I had that same thought. I also do not use vertical safety lines in my ladder stands, but was convinced to do so in this thread. Can't really tie the lower end off to the tree. I assume the lower end is tied off to the lower rung of the ladder.
This is sort of why I hope someone can post a picture/diagram or the like of how they do this for a ladder stand. I get it with a hang-on type. To be honest I like my ladder stands more and more and my hang-on type less and less as I get older....

Am I over complicating this? The force on the safety line would be at the top...so that has to go around something secure...the "tail" end if you will only needs to be secured to something enough to allow the knot to slip over the rope... If it wasn't for that it could swing freely and not affect its function...correct? So even if a ladder type stand would come crashing down...you, in theory, would simply fall as much as the knot would allow and you simply swing into the tree... which is still better than falling to the ground.

I have never used a lifeline in a ladder stand but I have used them in hang ons and I've used dog tie out stakes and just looped the lifeline through it and zip tied it to itself. This gives you something to pull the prusik against, I've also tied the life lines to the bottom of the climbing sticks. Maybe take one of the tie downs and put it arms length towards the tree so you can still reach it from the ladder.

EZyD2sn.jpg

I fell out of a tree last year. First time for everything. On our property we build permanent stands. The ladder rungs are typically 2x4 or 2x6 nailed into two trees that support the stand.
On my way out of the stand the top rung gave way and I fell about 12 feet (feet to ground). My head missed a big rock by about 2 feet. I rolled downhill after falling and narrowly missed rolling over some rusty nails sticking upright out of an old board.

I used to think ropes for our own permanent stands weren't necessary. I'm still mostly young and spry (eh, maybe a little arrogant, too) so I didn't think I needed a harness for these stands.

Opinion changed.

I have never used a lifeline in a ladder stand but I have used them in hang ons and I've used dog tie out stakes and just looped the lifeline through it and zip tied it to itself. This gives you something to pull the prusik against, I've also tied the life lines to the bottom of the climbing sticks. Maybe take one of the tie downs and put it arms length towards the tree so you can still reach it from the ladder.

EZyD2sn.jpg

Now in this pic you put your prusik around both ropes correct? Because if you don’t and only put it around one, your are hoping a doe tie out will withstand the force of your falling dead weight. And, I am going to bet it will not withstand that.

Now in this pic you put your prusik around both ropes correct? Because if you don’t and only put it around one, your are hoping a doe tie out will withstand the force of your falling dead weight. And, I am going to bet it will not withstand that.

I guess I don't follow you on this, there should be no weight on the tie at all. The reason I put this on was to keep the rope taught so I can push the prusik knot up, just like tying the lifeline off to the bottom of your climbing sticks. How do you keep the rope taught?

I guess I don't follow you on this, there should be no weight on the tie at all. The reason I put this on was to keep the rope taught so I can push the prusik knot up, just like tying the lifeline off to the bottom of your climbing sticks. How do you keep the rope taught?

Couple of questions because I cant see the entire set up:

1. How is it anchored at the top?
2. is that a single rope or a rope looped through something at the top?

I may be wrong depending on how your system is set up at the top.

It's a single rope looped around the tree back through a loop at the end of the rope.

It's a single rope looped around the tree back through a loop at the end of the rope.

Then ignore everything I wrote earlier - my mistake for not following you.