Rut Vacation Selection

B

BJE80

When are you taking your vacation to hunt the rut?

I am watching the weather right now before I put in for my vacation. Pretty much I have a choice between Nov 1-9 or Nov 5-12. I get more time in the woods with two weekends with the Nov 1-9 but I think Nov 5-12 might be closer to the peak of the rut but less total time. Suggestions? What are you doing?

I always do 11/4-11/11....A few more days are meaningless vs. peak rut. I would trade the first 7 weeks for the 10 days in November.

Devil’s Advocate: It’s not like Nov 1-4 are exactly slouches either though.

In Northern Missouri, Peak rut average is 10th -17th the past 4 years for us. The 13th and 14th will be all day sits for all of us hunting for sure.

Last edited by a moderator:
In Mn (Halloween to Nov 8) as many hours as I can. Slug season starts Nov 9

What does Charlie Alsheimer say? ;) :D

I could do Nov 4-11 instead of Nov 5-12 as well If that is what I choose to do. Might have to consider that. Just having a full week with two weekends for more time is tempting.

When you say "peak rut" do you mean the peak of rutting activity like seeking, chasing, fighting, tending, etc or do you mean peak of breeding?

Here in NE PA i would say that the most daylight mature buck rutting activity that i see every year (all things being equal, weather, pressure etc) are November 2nd through 10th. May be apples to oranges comparison. Our early archery season usually ends sometime around Nov 14th/15th every year and then there is no deer season again until the Monday after thanksgiving when rifle season opens. So we don't really get to hunt when peak breeding is taking place. In my experience the best hunting is the week to 10 days just before peak breeding is going on. But i also like from about October 25th to November 1st alot as well....in that time period is usually when i see my first "stranger buck" and its usually in daylight hours.

But i think your choice for dates may be six of one, half dozen of the other. If you can hold off on making the call until closer to those dates and try to play the weather to your advantage that could be the deal maker.

Best of luck either way!

I could do Nov 4-11 instead of Nov 5-12 as well If that is what I choose to do. Might have to consider that. Just having a full week with two weekends for more time is tempting.
How is the rut activity on your particular property? I haven't nailed it down on our property yet but it sure seems like we see the most daylight buck action early in the rut. When others are enjoying prime time a week or two into November we see nothing. If it was me on our property I'd go for Halloween being the center of my week or 10 day hunt.

How is the rut activity on your particular property? I haven't nailed it down on our property yet but it sure seems like we see the most daylight buck action early in the rut. When others are enjoying prime time a week or two into November we see nothing. If it was me on our property I'd go for Halloween being the center of my week or 10 day hunt.

Last year it was very sporadic early (Nov1-3). Didn’t see any Bucks for the first three days and then Nov 4-7 was good. I had to leave on Nov 8th. Trail cameras showed activity good all the way through gun season with the peak being about Nov 7th. I only have a 1 year sampling period so who knows.

I'm off the 8th - 18th and then again the 26th -Dec 3rd

Everyone's area is going to be a little different. On our property we have very few bucks but more family doe groups so there is little to no competition, and once the peak of the rut (breeding) comes around the bucks will vanish and lock down. Years past for me the last week in October and first week in November are my best chance to catch a buck moving in daylight.

My vacations are planned 10/25-10/28 (some nice hot weather this weekend...) and 11/1-11/4.

Vacation 11/5=11/16 and I have my fingers crossed.

In central mo I prefer the first 12 days of Nov. Seems like during our rifle opener nov 15th they are often on lock down with a hot doe an don't chase or move much.

Nov. 5th-12th.

I simply take long weekends during the first week of our general firearm season (week before thanksgiving) which typically falls during the rut and then the entire week of thanksgiving. I will miss a full 3 days (unless I'm sick cough, cough) of my entire general firearms season. I have the flexability to shift that around if I need to as well -should things really get going that first week.

Our rut in central mississippi is way later than what yalls rut time falls.I take off from about Dec 23-Jan 2 and most of the I hit it right. Some years the rut will hit the following week like Jan 1-7.

Generally here if you arent in a stand come Halloween through the start of rifle season, usually the middle saturday of November, you are missing out big time as an archer. First we have to get rid of this crappy upper 70 degree temps! I can barely tolerate these temps in the summer!:) It downright sucks this time of year.

I would agree with this bueller, although last year I hunted all day from 11/7-11/10 and saw the biggest 2 bucks I saw all year. The biggest two I've taken with the bow have been the first week of November. Last week of October things seem to always get going though, regardless of moon phase. Late in the 2nd week of November can be very slow though, like you mentioned.
After I posted something told me to check my notes from last year. As you experienced, last year was outside the "norm" for us too. Nov 9th and 10th were the days to be out.

In NE KS I go as often as possible between Nov. 10 - 24.

I've changed my thoughts a bit for Northern MO based on the last few years. I still really like a late October cold front as it always seem to get matoor bucks up during daylight for a few days but it seems they quickly figure out it's too early and tuck it back into their pants making the first few days of November slow in my areas. Right about 11/9 is prime for me so I'm starting 11/5 and hunting until gun starts on 11/15 this year.