Russian Knife sharpener

I have the wicked edge system. I have the pro pack II and I can tell you that I watched the video and can point out NUMEROUS flaws to the russian system.

1. blade is not consistent in the chuck.
2. knife looks very loose while on the downstroke with the stone.
3. It would take me 20 mins to set that thing up. I can set mine up in less than a minute.
4. looks like an edge pro, which is a good system also, but edge pro is way better.

I have no vested interest in Wicked Edge, I just wanted a system to put a mirrored edge on my knifes. I have some knives that are cut on contact and some I put a basic edge on that are 99% than any knife out there. I was always told, that a dull knife will cut you and sharp knife won't. Just had the leather strops out on my everyday carry, it is cut on the lightest touch and I don't recommend touching the blade, you will be cut.

https://www.wickededgeusa.com/

I have a KME kit. Got it from a local kid, it works great!

I have used a dual wheel system that mounts on a typical bench grinder, grit wheel on one side buffing wheel on the other. It has served me well for a long time. People are always impressed with how sharp my knives are when I am skinning a deer.(Probably should get into the knife sharpening business on the side, but at that time of the year there is barely enough time for sleep). My wheel system was about worn out, so I just purchased one of sharpeners that uses the small abrasive belts, I think I will like it as well. A friend of mine that is a butcher swears by his. If you have never used a belt sander to sharpener your shovels or lawnmower blades you are working too hard! Files are obsolete for sharpening things like that.

I was wondering about that belt system. I always see a guy demonstrating and selling those at hunting shows with a very captive audience.

If you are a little DYI, this method will make anything with a cutting edge as sharp as you care to make it (as long as you have a little skill with your hands). The leather belt is the key:

-John

Nice video I guess they work

I don't see a need to move away from my Lansky kit. I can get knives crazy sharp with it if I take the time. I wouldn't mind some more grit choices, but just haven't taken the time to order new stones.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I have the wicked edge system. I have the pro pack II and I can tell you that I watched the video and can point out NUMEROUS flaws to the russian system.

1. blade is not consistent in the chuck.
2. knife looks very loose while on the downstroke with the stone.
3. It would take me 20 mins to set that thing up. I can set mine up in less than a minute.
4. looks like an edge pro, which is a good system also, but edge pro is way better.

I have no vested interest in Wicked Edge, I just wanted a system to put a mirrored edge on my knifes. I have some knives that are cut on contact and some I put a basic edge on that are 99% than any knife out there. I was always told, that a dull knife will cut you and sharp knife won't. Just had the leather strops out on my everyday carry, it is cut on the lightest touch and I don't recommend touching the blade, you will be cut.

https://www.wickededgeusa.com/

I took a knife sharpening class about 10 years ago, and then after trying all sorts of tools, ended up with the Wicked Edge about 3 years ago based on recommendations from some pros. (like UP there, I have no vested interest in them either).

Downside to wicked edge is it is brutally expensive in my opinion once you add in a bunch of optional cutters and diamond paste, etc - but for those interest in basically ridiculous sharpness for zero-effort precision cuts, I'm in UP's camp

Both the Russian made sharpener, and the wicked sets just look to be slightly more refined versions of a Lansky style angled bevel guide principle. What are some of the benefits that would warrant shelling out up to $750 more for a gen3 sharpening kit than a full diamond Lansky kit?

Both the Russian made sharpener, and the wicked sets just look to be slightly more refined versions of a Lansky style angled bevel guide principle. What are some of the benefits that would warrant shelling out up to $750 more for a gen3 sharpening kit than a full diamond Lansky kit?

I've never used the Russian kit, so I can't speak to that. But having used both the Lansky and Wicked, here's what I can say:

Yes, the principle of consistent bevel and graduated cutaway is the same. It actually seems to me to be a simple matter of physics that unless you want to waste a lot of steel on a powered belt system, following this principle is going to be the core of any system.

That said, the biggest differences between those two for me: 1 - Speed and repetitive motion is better with the wicked; the dual action of the wicked along with the ergonomic design. 2 - the ability to have one-angle (or even sub angle if you want) bevel accuracy from 11 to 30, for different purposes is there on the wicked but with the Lansky you're limited to just a fixed angles (usually 20 and 25, or 19 and 25)

Here's the thing though - because of the extreme expense of the Wicked, you have to be really INTO it, or sharpening several knives per week to justify it - for 99.9% of all reasonable purposes the Lansky will do just fine for a few knives a year to keep outstanding.

I have used a Lansky for 20 years. It's not bad, but I've always seen things about it that I thought could use improvement. The Lansky is not great on long blades, especially when reaching out to the tip of the blade. Keeping a consistent bevel angle is relative to the stone staying parallel to the blade across the entire length. The Lansky stone basically pivots from the small hole that the rod inserts into. It can't keep a consistent bevel angle as the stone is moved along the blade farther away from being square, or plumb to the hole in the base. And the clamp is not secure with positive accuracy of alignment every time. Clamp a knife in the Lansky and look at the alignment from an angle viewed from the knife handle. Sometimes the blade is perfectly straight up and square to the base. Other times the blade will be leaning to one side...that inconsistent clamping changes the bevel angle each time a particular blade is honed.
I'm not saying this Russian tool is great or even the best sharpening device out there, but it looked interesting to me so I thought you guys might enjoy seeing the revue. It certainly looks like a quality tool in this age of Chinese junk.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

I will agree that the wheel and belt systems do tend to remove alot of metal. However, my shop knives are disposable $6 knives that typically only last a couple of deer seasons. I can get a dang sharp edge on them quick, and I dont cry if I drop them on the concrete floor. If a guy develops a soft touch you can put a razor sharp edge on a quality knife and that edge will hold for a long time with a wheel system and likely the belt system.

I have used a Lansky for 20 years. It's not bad, but I've always seen things about it that I thought could use improvement. The Lansky is not great on long blades, especially when reaching out to the tip of the blade. Keeping a consistent bevel angle is relative to the stone staying parallel to the blade across the entire length. The Lansky stone basically pivots from the small hole that the rod inserts into. It can't keep a consistent bevel angle as the stone is moved along the blade farther away from being square, or plumb to the hole in the base. And the clamp is not secure with positive accuracy of alignment every time. Clamp a knife in the Lansky and look at the alignment from an angle viewed from the knife handle. Sometimes the blade is perfectly straight up and square to the base. Other times the blade will be leaning to one side...that inconsistent clamping changes the bevel angle each time a particular blade is honed.
I'm not saying this Russian tool is great or even the best sharpening device out there, but it looked interesting to me so I thought you guys might enjoy seeing the revue. It certainly looks like a quality tool in this age of Chinese junk.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

I agree it looks sweet, and I watched his entire YouTube video where he shaves with a butter knife. Just was wondering about the limitations that were overcome and if they would be worth the extra $$$ for me. I guess I haven't tried to sharpen anything longer than a hunting knife, so I hadn't had to worry about the angle change. That makes sense.

comparing a lansky knife sharpening kit is not even a fair comparison to Wicked Edge. One is a machined piece and the other is stamped out to be sold at Walmart. It is almost a joke to even mention the two together and as a comparison. Some people choose to put Tasco's on top of their rifles and some people choose to put Leupold's, Schmidt and Bender, and Leica. Why? Because people want the best performing tool they can use for the job. I choose to take the path of having a knife sharpener of the Schmidt and Bender category.

Any high end sharpener will work great. I know that Ken Onion system with belts and angles looks like it would be cool. But, the coolness stops with performance. I was not interested in getting my knives sharp. I wanted them to be so sharp that they will cut on contact and they have a mirrored edge.

I totally agree that Wicked Edge is stupid and I mean stupid expensive. Like what and the heck was I thinking??? But, I have never regretted it once and I can put an edge on anything. I wanted the best and I was willing to pay for it. I can tell you that if you want the BEST knife sharpener, you will never regret Wicked Edge.

I have never used the russian system, but like I pointed out before, I see numerous flaws and I would still put the edge to Wicked. There is a huge difference between a sharp knife and one that is so sharp that it cuts on contact.

quite a few of my knives have an edge like this..

If you are a little DYI, this method will make anything with a cutting edge as sharp as you care to make it (as long as you have a little skill with your hands). The leather belt is the key:

-John

Barbers didn't have a leather strap hanging from the chair for looks. If any of you are old enough to know real barber shop.

quite a few of my knives have an edge like this..

^^^^^^^
Wow, 2500 grit paper for sharpening... That's dedication. That's insane.

all this talk and I had to break it out and dedicate a little time to one. SOG Aegis, assisted opening, 20 degree bevel, mirrored edge, honed with 2500 grit sandpaper, and finished with a strop. Sharper than any knife you will ever pick up, unless you own a
Wicked Edge. :)

knife mirror.jpg