Rotary Mowers

Snowshoe Acres

A good 3 year old buck
I want to purchase a 3 pt rotary mower. I have a JD 2030 tractor, it's old, but runs great, 60HP. For those of you that have rotary mowers, what do you recommend for width, 5' or 6'? I will be using it to cut a large field with willow and alder, approx 2" in diameter. What brands are best and why? I am sure there are lots of opinions, would love to hear some recommendations!

I think your in the market for a 6 footer at the smallest. I would get as heavy duty as you feel you need. These mowers tend to run over a fair amount of stuff you never intended them to. They make some that essentially if you can drive over it...it will chop it up! Just get the proper tool for the job.

The biggest mower your tractor can spin if it’s all field work. I don’t know about transmissions in newer tractors but someone with the same tractor can aim you at the right size.

I have a pull behind with a cylinder on the back wheels to adjust the height and the tractor hitch also raises to adjust the height. I still run crooked but I like rusty old equipment so that’s ok with me. My thought is that depending on your uses for the mower, height adjustment may be something to look at. A heavy mower can take lots of abuse and cut small trees etc so think about your primary uses and ground conditions and whether something big and rusty will feel better if you hit stumps and rocks vs hitting them with a nice new mower. If looking used there are often clutches in the drive shaft for if you hit something really big. Look for wear there and consider a safety cover for the pto shaft. Some also have over run clutches and those can help depending on your transmission/pto. Have fun

One that is at least as wide at the wheel width on your tractor. Preferably a bit wider.

What nitro27 said as you will not be leaving "wind rows" that did not get mowed. Since no one has mentioned a brand I will say that I like Land Pride.

My 65 hp runs a seven footer like it is not even back there. Generally, when you go over 7 ft, you starting getting into double gear boxes which can jump the price. For two inch trees, get heavy duty. I have a frontier brand I have not been ecstatic about.

I have an older king kutter 6' mower. I typically pull it with a 5203 ~56 HP tractor and it handles it fine. It has a shear pin rather than a slip clutch. My tiller has a slip clutch. I would highly recommend the clutch. Much easier to keep going after you hit something. I have put mine to the test and it just keeps mowing. The 3 point arms have bent over time (it still works, just have to shorten the top link). I see the new ones are beefed up now, I must not be the only one that had problems. Overall I'm pretty happy with it.

-John

For what it’s worth I just went through a similar situation. The dealer I bought my tractor from just took in a nice used Bush Hog 3008 8’ cutter on trade. They made me a good deal on it. I haven’t gotten to use it yet so I can’t speak to how it mows...but it looks well built and it’s wide enough to cover my rear tire tracks, which was a big key for me. I would think your tractor could handle an 8’er fine and it would significantly reduce your mowing time over a 6’er.

I bought a new woods BB720x it lasted about 2 seasons mowing about what your taking about before gear box ate it self covered under warranty. I bought a rhino 272 which is a much heavier duty mower so far it’s doing good. CE53E36D-9FB3-4D8E-AD9B-2EC60AC92170.jpeg