Root Pouches

Needmorebrush82

5 year old buck +
I know some of the tree guys on here are using root pouches and after yesterday planting them just became a whole lot easier. I went to move my persimmons and had a pencil size root growing into the ground. This tells me we can pant them without worry and the roots will penetrate the bag just fine once planted in the ground. I was tearing the bag off before I planted and was always bummed that I had to tear a few roots off to get the bag off. Well from now on the bag goes in the hole and I can plant trees that much faster. These were one gallons that are said to decompose in 12-15 months. It's a slight pain that they grow through the bag if you leave them sitting around for months, but hey I like knowing the roots will penetrate once planted without issue.

I have used a couple of the different grades for some experiments. I have some of the longer life ones that are still in great shape after 3 years setting on the ground (they do have a root or two that have breached the bottom). I bought some of the shortest life ones and buried them in the ground when I seeded them this spring, dug a couple out of the ground last week and the tap roots were barely breaking through, but the bags came apart in my hands.