roller pump vs electric pump

N

non-pro-archer

I have never used a roller pump so I know nothing about them but I'm thinking that it would be a better option all around for my needs between spraying and watering trees and whatnot. What do you guys think?

I use a roller pump (driven off my PTO shaft) on my 3pt sprayer. I have limited exp with electrical pumps. I am just more of a mechanical guy than an electrical one. I just figured the roller pump would more than likely last longer (I have a tendency to be hard on stuff). It is a bear at times getting it to slip on and off the PTO shaft however - and don't drop it on your toes.

Yea I have been through a couple electric pumps so I was hoping a roller would be more durable

I am building a sprayer this week, and from what I have gleaned chemicals are hell on either unit. Clean them well if you want to use them next week and next year.

Rinse them and oil them good for longevity.

I am building a sprayer this week, and from what I have gleaned chemicals are hell on either unit. Clean them well if you want to use them next week and next year.

Rinse them and oil them good for longevity.
I have been oiling my electric pumps since my first one went out

I simply take my roller off and put it in the basement during the winter (to avoid it freezing). That's it so far for a couple of years now - still kicking.

Buy a good tank and pump cleaner. It really helps. Triple Rinsing really helps as well. One of the biggest complaints I get is when guys go from one year to the next and they forgot to clean there tank and pump good. Can cause a lot of problems!
Are the problems from the herbicide Gumming up or becoming like jelly? I had a bunch of stuff that looked like jelly come out of my tank this year on my first spray.

Some chemicals are not compatible with others. I have heard of horror stories of farmers with 500 gallon sprayer tanks of jelly because they forgot to clean there sprayer tanks out from one herbicide spraying to the next! It happens, even in the same chemical family. And it does not take much residue to have it happen.
Wow that's crazy, I'm glad I didn't have that big of an issue.

photo (33).JPG Meet FrankenSprayer. He is half 3 pt, half tow behind, and half assed.

He is heading north today for a trial run. Got a little over $160 into him and my Tee Jet boomless will be here Tuesday.

Hope it makes the trip north and sprays when we get there.

Nice rig bat man

Frankensprayer performed flawlessly. Until a pinhole popped into the end of a line and he became BOOMLESS to the right.

Boomless T comes tomoro and he goes back under the blade-