Rocky Mountain Juniper

BuckSutherland

5 year old buck +
Anyone have an experience with these trees?? Thinking of ordering some of these next year.

Scratch that idea. They dont play well with apple trees just like red cedar. I dont have high hopes for my apple trees succeeding in bear country, but I am gonna at least try.

Northern white cedar might be a good substitute but they grow pretty slowly and like wet locations would probably need deer protection

Scratch that idea. They dont play well with apple trees just like red cedar. I dont have high hopes for my apple trees succeeding in bear country, but I am gonna at least try.
Don't worry about cedar apply rust..... Could be coming from trees far away. Those orange little octopuses, just spray the trees with a common copper solution you can get anywhere.

White cedar is loved by deer, but they destroy it too easily. I buy red cedar, they need the food, they'll use it. Great cover tree. Fertilize them until they're 10ft tall or so. Water them during a dry spell. You'll get a spot for the deer to be comfortable in year round, and the trees wont be too tall where they shade your food plot or fruit trees. Great thing about cedar and juniper, they grow in poor areas.

Added bonus, you get the secret ingredient in sauerbraten. About the best thing you can do for a venison roast.

Everyone worries about bears and deer with trees. The real killers are rabbits when theyre in the mood..... There's a good reason you see wild plums and permissions in the woods doing well.

White cedar doesn’t cause CAR Red cedar does

I quit caring about CAR a long time ago. Nothing I can do about it besides pick varieties that have some level of resistance. Plant red cedar and juniper every year. There is no getting away from them around here.

Last edited:
I quite caring about CAR a long time ago. Nothing I can do about it besides pick varieties that have some level of resistance. Plant red cedar and juniper every year. There is no getting away from them around here.
I'm doing the same. I've probably got 6000 red cedars on the property. I've never even heard anyone around here talk about CAR. I'm sure it exists around here but certainly is not as prevalent as one would think reading about it online. I'm sure climate has a lot to do with that though. Areas with more rainfall are more prone to it from what I've read.

I'm doing the same. I've probably got 6000 red cedars on the property. I've never even heard anyone around here talk about CAR. I'm sure it exists around here but certainly is not as prevalent as one would think reading about it online. I'm sure climate has a lot to do with that though. Areas with more rainfall are more prone to it from what I've read.
I have to plant CAR resistant apple trees or they die or take areal beating. Honeycrisp is toast around here I laugh every time I see it for sale at the box stores.

I have to plant CAR resistant apple trees or they die or take areal beating. Honeycrisp is toast around here I laugh every time I see it for sale at the box stores.
I guess I left out the part where I plan CAR resistant varieties.