Replacing dead ash trees

swampbuck

Yearling... With promise
Been reading a lot in this forum but first time posting. I recently bought a property that has a good amount of dead ash trees on it. One area in particular is a point that jets out into a tag alder swamp. All of the ash trees have died and I am wondering what kind of trees to plant to replace the dead ash trees. Have considered poplar and swamp white oak but for different reasons.

I don't know your habitat so I won't comment on trees species. But, are you set on trees? Forbs and shrubs might be quicker to establish and maybe more productive (depending on your goals).

I don't know your habitat so I won't comment on trees species. But, are you set on trees? Forbs and shrubs might be quicker to establish and maybe more productive (depending on your goals).
Not necessarily set on trees, but would like to incorporate some. The terrain is lowland swamp that's a mix of tag alder and red osier dogwood mostly with some oaks and poplar mixed in. It has humps that are dry but it's wet in spots too.

As long as you’re planting, whack down a bunch of tag alder to add sunlight and boost your ground cover.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

As long as you’re planting, whack down a bunch of tag alder to add sunlight and boost your ground cover.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Makes sense. I am planning on clearing some out this winter yet. Would be great it I could knock it down and have ROD be more prevalent but am planning on adding some other trees/shrubs to the mix

Some white cedar would be nice sounds like a good spot to try few anyway.

Been reading a lot in this forum but first time posting. I recently bought a property that has a good amount of dead ash trees on it.

Are you going to remove the ash? Makes excellent firewood. But felling dead ash can be dangerous as even healthy ash has a tendency to barber chair. Dead ash is even worse.

Congrats on the new property.

Welcome!

I'm partial to oaks and would probably stick a bunch of swamp white in with some evergreen that's suitable to your area.

I'd take a few higher spots and plant something like rochards or switchgrass. Just little spots, then plant some poplar, spruce, or cedar around it. Get prepped to make some bedding spots.

MAny areas have a spring seedling sale. You might be able to get some things cheaply.

Many young shrubs and trees need to be caged. White spruce has done ok for me uncaged. Still some get destroyed or damaged by wildlife. Willows might be an option too.

Any other interests in the land besides deer hunting. There's things you can do to improve the habitat for small game

Look around the area, you can rip and relocate younger trees n shrubs once the ground thaws.

Are you going to remove the ash? Makes excellent firewood. But felling dead ash can be dangerous as even healthy ash has a tendency to barber chair. Dead ash is even worse.

Congrats on the new property.
I was not planning on cutting them dow. They are pretty far gone so just figured I would leave them.

White cedar in cages. They are gonna grow great anywhere an ash tree grows.

I have to agree with Buck Sutherland here. White cedar, aka thuja,is a great wildlife tree. Deer will probably eat it , so be careful

Thanks for all the suggestions. I'm in south central Wisconsin and I think I still have time to put in an order with our DNR and it looks like they still have most of these species available.

Oh that far south some swamp white oak should survive also.

I was not planning on cutting them dow. They are pretty far gone so just figured I would leave them.

You should knock them down. I have a similar spot on my property that was invaded by emerald ash borer. The dead ash tend to rot at the base and become unstable.

By cutting them down, you will open the canopy even more exposing the ground to sunlight. This could really help stimulate the natural regen of the ROD and alder.

If you have any hi spots, consider adding black spruce. It does well on wet soils and will add some thermal cover. White spruce would be another good choice.

I like the idea of cutting them down as well. Plant the new trees within the branches of the downed ash to protect them. If you leave them and do a bunch of plantings, sooner or later those ash will fall down and damage the new plantings.

You have the right idea on leaving ash alone if too far gone or at least no sawing by hand. Could try it with equipment and protected cab. One of the trees I do cut even when dead awhile is elm but big difference in elm vs ash in grain structure and branches splitting off or barber chair happening. Ash just splits so easily.

I will even wrap a chain above the cut on ash when in decent shape but has some good lean to it.

Some of my caution is from two good friends of mine having a relative or a friend of theirs die while cutting trees. A barber chair and a widow maker (falling branch that falls off) were the causes. It can happen and did change my approach on cutting

Black spruce and tamarack are also options for tag alder type areas. Bucks will rub both the black spruce and tamarack, but they don't seem to browse them. White cedar is a solid option if you can cage them for several years.

If you decide to cut those ash down, have a friend or 2 there with you. Hard hats for sure. Dead ash will fall eventually, and being there when they do (on their own) might be tragic. The ash around here are dropping all the time - into power / cable lines, onto roads, buildings, etc. You never know when they'll drop. Scary times in areas with ash trees.

As several guys above said, white cedars grow well in wet ground. They grow wild up in Maine in and around swamps. Deer will browse them, so cages would be good until they grow up a bit, so deer can't kill them entirely. White cedars are also known as arborvitae (Thuja is the scientific family name).

check with your local NRCS office, there is programs Via CSP and EQUIP that pays you to replace the ash and also fence off the newly planted trees. I am replacing the ash with Swamp white oak, tamarack, wild plum and cedar. At a minimum the payments would allow you to pay someone to come in and remove the ash or as least knock it down for you. I currently doing this on 2 separate 1 acre areas, im in WI as well if you dont fence or cage each tree you will fight a losing battle against deer both eating and rubbing your new planted trees.