Removing paint

hunts_with_stick

5 year old buck +
A friend of mine inherited some guns. A nice browing a5 and semi auto Remington that appear to be painted camo. Not factory painted because the a5 is engraved. Is there a way to remove the paint without doing damage?

The A5 is likely the sporting model with factory engraving. It’s a nice gun that is still “modern” in many ways. The A5 definitely did not come with factory camo! As a former gunsmith, this was not all that rare as folks brought in old 1911s and Remington 700 rifles that had shake-can “upgrades.” The good news is that the paint can be removed without damage to whatever factory finish remains. Carb cleaner (the spray on type) will not hurt the factory bluing. Spray on, wipe off. Take your time. On the wood, Opps (name brand) paint remover worked good. When done, wipe the gun down with RemOil or other favorite finish cleaner before storage.

Thank you sir!!

Any idea what a left handed remington 1100 12guage is worth. it has three barrels, full mod and one other I havent dound the marking yet

Any idea what a left handed remington 1100 12guage is worth. it has three barrels, full mod and one other I havent dound the marking yet
Hunts....I need to emphasis I am a former gunsmith :-) While I maintained my FFL, I've been out of the business for ten years and stopped subscribing to the Blue Book of Gun Values at that time. Since then, some guns have gone up in value (including your Remington 1100), and others, like my coveted Colt Python, have gone down. The Blue Book of Values can provide some helpful guidelines to the needed tools to assess the condition of your 1100. I would NOT discount the gun for being left-handed, but recognize that the market is smaller and it might take longer to sell should the need arise.

Average Trade In$507.41
Average Private Party$780.63

Gunbroker.com is a great resource for both current and historical (past year or two) trends. Another site I use periodically when friends/former customers call is Gunvalues.
The 1100 is one of my favorite semi-auto shotguns. While it is a little heavy, the weight--along with the gun's design--help mitigate much of the traditional 12G recoil. There are many times I wish I had a 1960s-1970s version, as I loved the woodwork from that era.