First run in with tresspassers

As bad as I disagree with red flag laws I do understand why someone might think we need them . One example of a person someone might red flag and most reasonable people would agree should not have a firearm is someone who says to shoot the treaspassors boy because he will grow up like his dad and become a treaspassor. The apple don't fall far from the tree theory is a poor excuse to murder a child . Really some sick b@$+@ on here .

Sent from my LM-K920 using Tapatalk

Talk about situations escalating quickly... this thread escalated quickly! I read most of it in jest, some in sarcasm, and some as pretty damn serious. Hard to "read" inflection though.

Last edited:
As bad as I disagree with red flag laws I do understand why someone might think we need them . One example of a person someone might red flag and most reasonable people would agree should not have a firearm is someone who says to shoot the treaspassors boy because he will grow up like his dad and become a treaspassor. The apple don't fall far from the tree theory is a poor excuse to murder a child . Really some sick b@$+@ on here .

Sent from my LM-K920 using Tapatalk
we all got that big buck fever... ain't no vaccine for that.

I think it’s all in jest.
I can't speak for others posts; emoticons might help, but mine was dead serious. A warning shot is not just another shot in the woods. A warning shot, by definition, is a form of communication. The messages is usually "I'm armed and willing to use deadly force against you". In order for a warning shot to have the desired effect, the party being warned needs to know it is a warning shot. Regardless of the message the sender intends, is is easy for the receiver to hear: "I'm armed and willing to use deadly force against you".

It creates a very dangerous situation. The only possible benefit of a warning shot is to stroke the ego of the shooter and make him feel like he has a larger member.

What if the OP just shot a turkey on his land while they were there? Any explanation or shout out needed?

let’s not crawl to deep into the woods.

What if the OP just shot a turkey on his land while they were there? Any explanation or shout out needed?

let’s not crawl to deep into the woods.
No, that is not a warning shot.

If that person clearly sees me and is yelling "warning shot", especially if I have a kid with me, I'm clearly in protection mode.

I see.

How often does that happen?

I see.

How often does that happen?
Don't know, it was your post that suggest it. The point is, a warning shot is only a warning shot if the person being warned knows it is. If they do, it escalates and has the potential to make a bad situation worse and dangerous.

Don't know, it was your post that suggest it. The point is, a warning shot is only a warning shot if the person being warned knows it is. If they do, it escalates and has the potential to make a bad situation worse and dangerous.

So basically I would have to yell "warning shot" for them to know?

So basically I would have to yell "warning shot" for them to know?
I never said that. I said, unless the person being warned knows it is a warning shot based on context, it is not a warning shot, it just makes the shooter feel less impotent. If, based on the entire context, they do recognize it as a warning shot, it has the potential to get you killed. It is foolish!

And by the way, I recognize your baiting. The only reason I respond is that there are young hunters out there that may be reading the forum that may take your foolishness seriously.

Can we all just agree that shooting at or near a person is wrong and illegal unless you or somebody you love is in mortal danger?

Any of you all ever been in a gun fight? It’s not peaches and cream, let me tell you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Can we all just agree that shooting at or near a person is wrong and illegal unless you or somebody you love is in mortal danger?

Any of you all ever been in a gun fight? It’s not peaches and cream, let me tell you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Completely agree. Simply the wrong response to the situation. Taking pictures, calling law enforcement, and so on are the best kind of response.

We had a bad trespass problem for about 5 years. When I found folks on our land, I'd simply go up and very pleasantly introduce myself. I'd try to get their name as part of a friendly conversation. In most cases, I had already taken pictures before I approached them but I didn't make it obvious. After a bit, I'd tell them that I worked for the company that owned the land and that it was post, which is true since it actually owned by the LLC. I'd tell them that the company requires me to get ID from anyone found on the land and simply warn them not to come back and if they don't provide ID, I have to call the sheriff's office and let them deal with it. Since I was so cordial and non-aggressive, about 90% of the time they would show me their ID. Many of those folks were good folks that just didn't think anyone cared since the previous owners did not police it at all. They never returned. For those who did (we have lots of game cameras) we filed a trespass notice and they were served. Most of them never returned.

We did have a few defiant problematic folks that were persistent bullies. It took a while but law enforcement dealt with them and we prosecuted them. After about 5 years total, the message got out to the community that we are not a soft target. No one got hurt or threatened.

I clearly recognize that things can escalate quickly on their own. You never know who you are dealing with. Every time we got good game cam pics of folks, we reported it to the sheriff's office. One day a deputy stopped by for another incident and said "By the way, you remember those pics you sent to us a couple weeks ago? We were able to ID the folks and they were wanted. We were able to find and arrest them, and they are going away for a very long time. You won't have issues with them again."

When we do the right thing and report, we protest ourselves and our loved ones. When arrogance and vigilantism gets the best of us, the outcome is rarely what we expect.

Thanks,

Jack

I never said that. I said, unless the person being warned knows it is a warning shot based on context, it is not a warning shot, it just makes the shooter feel less impotent. If, based on the entire context, they do recognize it as a warning shot, it has the potential to get you killed. It is foolish!

And by the way, I recognize your baiting. The only reason I respond is that there are young hunters out there that may be reading the forum that may take your foolishness seriously.

What if someone shoots a turkey or deer and a trespasser takes it was a warning shot? Isn't that just as dangerous? Should we stop hunting when trespassers are present?

What if someone shoots a turkey or deer and a trespasser takes it was a warning shot? Isn't that just as dangerous? Should we stop hunting when trespassers are present?

Give it up...