All Things Habitat - Lets talk.....

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Red osier dogwood

wildfire

5 year old buck +
If rod gets 7-8 feet tall, do you cut it back to a couple of feet?

Mow that shit down to 6" and see how it explodes the next year
Lol! That right there is habitat advice at its finest! I am anxiously waiting for that day myself.

Those things grow EVERYWHERE. I've got them on sandy dry soil, and they're 2-3 foot already.

I wonder how those things would respond to sheering with a skid loader?

I will have to keep this in mind when I am planting trees in the woods this spring and see some ROD. A person could probably cut them down and jam the cut off portion into the ground as a cutting just a few feet a away?

It sounds like Dogwoods a good option for screening or thickening up a area? Never planted them and not sure if they exist on my property. Thanks......

It sounds like Dogwoods a good option for screening or thickening up a area? Never planted them and not sure if they exist on my property. Thanks......

They are thicket forming, so good for a bedding area and they are a preferred deer browse. While I wouldn't use them as a primary screen I think they would be good for adding variety to a screen, but they do lose their leaves.

Good chance you would have some near wetland type areas. Look for the bright red branches during the winter:
http://www.ag.ndsu.edu/trees/handbook/th-3-21.pdf

I transplanted this one to mix in with my spruce screen in May 2013. It's right in front of my cabin along the road and the deer end up browsing it during the late fall/early winter.

I'd agree that they'll be good at adding variety to a screen. They flourish when planted in wetter ground, but they'll grow almost anywhere. The biggest thing, as is with almost all plantings, is to make sure they get a year to get their roots set. Once they are established, they tolerate browse extremely well and actually grow more vigorously when eaten. I planted about 18 late last August/early September (Meijer garden center clearance in 1 gallon pots for 1.00 each). I left them in cages this year (2-3 foot diameter and 4 foot tall) and I'll likely leave them in them in through the summer, or for another year. They're on a really sandy, and generally dry, spot, so I want to make sure they get their feet under them.

So......I have plans for a screen. Doesn't need to completely block visually all the way across it, because of topography, but needs to become thick throughout....and a good stretch of it is wet winter through late spring. ROD sounds like it might fit the bill. I really don't want to have to cage/protect it if at all possible. Rest of screen will be Norway spruce in areas where visual screen is most important. Also interested in other shrub types for wet area and partial shade for diversity sake.

So......I have plans for a screen. Doesn't need to completely block visually all the way across it, because of topography, but needs to become thick throughout....and a good stretch of it is wet winter through late spring. ROD sounds like it might fit the bill. I really don't want to have to cage/protect it if at all possible. Rest of screen will be Norway spruce in areas where visual screen is most important. Also interested in other shrub types for wet area and partial shade for diversity sake.

Give it a go! If it doesn't fill in as much as you'd like, it's not wasted space. IMO, all dogwoods are great plants to have on your land, and you can always add something else to the screen if need be.

Phil, here is what it looks like in the summer on my place in a spot with damp soil and semi shady. When the leaves fall off it doesn't make much of a screen though in just one row.

Phil, balsam & black spruce will tolerate some shade and don't mind wet feet.

Are you planting in rows Phil?

Ninebark, highbush cranberry, and especially buttonbush will thrive in a moist soil situation.

I was planning on a more staggered planting for a little more natural feeling and look. ROD or any deciduous shrubs in the "screen" won't be expected to provide full out visual barrier....but I will want partial visual obstruction, thick enough to discourage deer or humans from walking through the area, increasing diversity of native browse/mast. The area in question is not very large, I estimate less than 100 trees/shrubs will be needed for the desired outcome to be achieved.....I haven't really walked the area off planing the spacing yet....so it could be 50 it could be 75....not really sure yet.