Red clover

I do not "advocate unique clovers" because the deer prefer them, it is simply a matter of time proven field tested varieties that have superior disease resistance, resistance to overgrazing, proven longevity in the field, and higher overall yields than standard VNS seed type red clovers. It keeps you from having to overseed or reseed the whole plot every one or two years due to thinning of the original planting from disease, overgrazing, and winter losses. Some of these improved red clover varieties can last up to 4 or 5 years with minimal maintenance, which makes them a cheaper alternative in the long run.

He didn't list his soil type or post his soil test, but based on his location, the clovers I suggested have been field tested and are proven to work in New York state.

SOME coops have a handle on that, others sell what is popular with the local farmers, who may just be planting the same thing their great-grandpappy planted, just because that is what they "know", not necessarily what might be the current "best" variety for their specific conditions. I would reference the continuing high sales of Vernal alfalfa, not that there is anything wrong with Vernal, it has been around since 1953 and at the time was the gnat's behind and it is STILL used to this day as a control variety in almost all field trials, but that doesn't make it the best available variety you could plant in today's world, yet if a coop has a bunch of farmer requests for it, that is what they will stock and that is what they will promote as what "all the local guys are using this year".

I have attached a link below to illustrate my point

https://www.progressiveforage.com/forage-types/alfalfa/how-to-select-an-alfalfa-variety

I simply made a recommendation because it worked well for me in my soil and my application. It's a suggestion. I don't have any side-by-side trial data or any scientific data....I simply had stumbled across the variety and it grew in a plot right next to a ag soybean filed and my perennial clover/chicory plot and you could see many many stems that had gotten nipped off where the other forages around didn't seem to show the same. I was pleased with it.

You guys have a wealth of knowledge and it is always good stuff. I sometimes like to balance the agri-science approach with the KISS method. :emoji_slight_smile: That was one of the great things about Lickcreek as he de-mystified things.

I will tell you that my 2 local feed mill coop guys are very knowledgeable and fantastic at helping out. They usually ask me more questions about what I am trying to accomplish than I ask them. They will sell me anything I want, but will also guide me to more economical solutions.

It is nice having knowledgeable guys at the local coop. Bad thing is, many guys don't have a "local coop" and end up ordering seed online and having it shipped to them or they end up buying BOB seed from a Walmart. If you are willing to pay to ship the seed, you might as well spend the extra money for a certified variety that is adapted to your specific area.

Tree Spud, I drive through Marquette County on our way to our hunting land. Where are the co-op's located that you are dealing with and what are their names if I may ask. Thanking you in advance for a reply.

Tree Spud, I drive through Marquette County on our way to our hunting land. Where are the co-op's located that you are dealing with and what are their names if I may ask. Thanking you in advance for a reply.

You have ....

Jasters Ag Supply
230 South St, Dalton (near Kingston on Hwy 44)

Fox River Feed Mill
15 Island Dr, Montello (On southside of town as you come in on Hwy 22)

Olsen's Feed Mill
N2084 WI-49, Berlin (near the MIll pond)

Berlin Feed Mill
328 S Church St, Berlin (about a mile north of Mascoutin golf course on hwy 49)

Last edited:
Make sure to stop for an ice cream cone while in Montello :emoji_wink:

^^^^ See where Bueller's priorities lie ??? Bueller hasn't even been good ……...…….... so why does he get ice cream ??? !!! Or know where the good stuff is ?? :emoji_grin: :emoji_stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Thanks for the info, I appreciate it

sprinkles are for winners........