Receiver vise mount

Jim Timber

5 year old buck +
I banged this out a couple weeks ago when I was home one day, but just got around to mounting it this afternoon.

20151004_162834-1.jpg

Managed to break a 5/8" grade 8 bolt with my 24" flex head ratchet when mounting the base to the container, so I need another bolt for the vise.

20151004_163928-1.jpg

This way that old Wilton will do more for me than sitting on my garage floor. Need to make some new jaws for it too.

Nice vice. I was expecting to see a vice mounted on the receiver hitch on your vehicle. I'd like to have a vice like that.....just never get around to doing it.

Now that's damn handy. Foggy it looks like at this point, Jim could pound out another mount for his truck in about 20 minutes.

I have plans to wire the container for generator power. I also have a 1kw inverter I hope will run my chain grinder off a deep cycle. I have a piece of channel bolted to the grinder to vise mount it at home - now I can use it up North too.

I don't want my truck exposed to much of what I want this vise for, but I could make an adapter easy enough.

I bet that old Wilton is better than what you can buy today.

It was new when I was a wee lad, and I broke the jaw trying to get a rusted pin out of something - in my 20's. When I was early 30's I bought my dad a "new" one, and I got this old gal. I got the better deal! I'd feel guilty, except my dad doesn't use the replacement either (also a Wilton 745, but made in china).

Yep, she's American made and quite the hunk of iron. I have a Wilton C2 that's bigger yet, and came from CL for a steal ($40) - that vise is my go-to and mounted firmly to my work bench. This 745's been neglected and will be back in service now with a new home on the container. I used to use it with my O/A torch in the driveway, so this is an improvement in care. :)

Last edited:
Yes those Wiltons are pushing like $400 or so for the good ole USA ones. See 'em all the time in the paper mills maintenance areas. The old man had what he called a railroad vise in his shop when I was a kid and he would get pissed when I would slobber weld something together held in the vise. That thing was about 3X bigger than the pic above

This is my C2 many moons ago. It doesn't look this good anymore.

DSC00473.jpg

5" wide jaws, but it opens around 8".