Realtor interaction etiquette

I’ve been baffled and intrigued by this business for 20 years. Thats not hyperbole. The number of incompetent land agents obviously pulling in multiple six figures in commissions blows my mind. I cuss them on one hand but would love to have that career, on the other hand. I honestly think I could kill it … but would be foolish to make a career change at this point.

The one I’ve dealt with that I started the thread about forgot all about our viewing on Saturday. Was super apologetic and genuine. Clearly I’m not a priority, though.
I can say if the market is a sizzler, like it is in Ohio, anyone with arms gets to play dodgeball. The guys I dealt with from the big buck places didnt hunt worth a darn and were even lesser realtors. Caught two (my buyer and his seller) pitting me and the seller against each other over 20k. Had another guy who couldnt make the walk of another place but had the gumption to harass the heck out of the sellers realtor when I bought it for his 3%. Have another guy looking at my place for an appraisal....but a premier listing for a well known guy went low for the area and way low for the effort that went into it. Anybody can be a title holder in the right contingency.

back to your comment....I am wonder what a good realtor is actually like....apologies are nice, but lesser to no screw ups.

He wasn't genuine, he was worried about losing his commission. I'd drop this guy without a second thought.
Haha. Nah. We maybe. I can understand you’d suspect that — it was my first inclination, too. He wasn’t trying to talk me into buying it. This would be a flip, whereas what he’s helped me with before was more permanent opportunities. He was understanding of what I’m doing and was talking me thru it pretty strategically. I’ll say it again, he’s the only one that has given me the time of day beyond the first conversation around here. And, again, this has been my experience for the last 20 years, in a steady market.

I must give off that engineer vibe that car salesmen always say they hate.

Last edited:
I had a bad experience with a realtor when I walked a property once. I called and asked the selling realtor to walk it. He said yes I could walk it and he wanted to meet me out there. I wanted to make an offer a couple days later and wanted to have my usual realtor to represent me to close the deal. He got pissy and said he would not split the commission since he had done the work. I don't think you can count 1 hour work walking a property as "doing the work". He said he would not split the commission with my realtor. I think he should have been clear that him meeting me out there to walk it initially meant he was going to require me to use him as my agent. He made it seem like it was no big deal, he was going to be in the area anyway. It just felt pretty shady like he was trying to cash in on both sides. Maybe I was naive and should not have agreed to have him there, but live and learn I guess..

Haha. Nah. We maybe. I can understand you’d suspect that — it was my first inclination, too. He wasn’t trying to talk me into buying it. This would be a flip, whereas what he’s helped me with before was more permanent opportunities. He was understanding of what I’m doing and was talking me thru it pretty strategically. I’ll say it again, he’s the only one that has given me the time of day beyond the first conversation around here. And, again, this has been my experience for the last 20 years, in a steady market.

I must give off that engineer vibe that car salesmen always say they hate.

Has nothing to do with that. You are a buyer and the only person looking out for your interests are you.

Don't get me started about engineers ... worked with and managed them all my career. Analytical types are worst decisions makers even when the answer is standing right in front of them. 😲😀

Has nothing to do with that. You are a buyer and the only person looking out for your interests are you.

Don't get me started about engineers ... worked with and managed them all my career. Analytical types are worst decisions makers even when the answer is standing right in front of them. 😲😀
What I meant was that I think the ‘engineer vibe’ makes salesmen not want to work with us for the exact reasons you state. Overly analytical and practical to a fault.

The first step is admitting you have a problem, right?!