Reading about this seed

Bowman

5 year old buck +
Has anyone grown Lynx winter peas?

Thanks. That will do for starters.

While you're at it update your profile with at least your USDA zone. It helps others answer questions and all the cool kids are doing it!

Must not be that cool. Took forever to figure it out.

Must have been to good to be true. Tried to contact seed sources for info, finally contacted Center Seeds in Ohio and got some information. The distributor will no longer sell because of poor germination. Center Seeds has 30,000 pounds in stock but they are not innoculated. They can do it, but the recommendation is to drill only. Supposedly, with tillage, only 20% germination.

I got WAY higher germination than that. without innoculating. even got great germination this spring from leftover from last fall. I will say that some did over winter here in zone 6, and grew to abot 2 feet tall, bloomed.... but that is as far as they got, I terminated and tilled them under ready for this summers plot. the other acre I just seeded a few weeks ago has them growing well, 6 to 8 inch long runners. weird pea, not much for leaves, but lots of tendrils. white flower, grey green plant. Heavy seed so high lb rate per acre in my opinion would help. seed at least as big as 00 buckshot. My didstributor was almost an hour away, but worth the ride.

I am glad that they worked for you. Supposedly low tannin, so the entire plant is edible. The co-op in Mio first told me about the germination and no more seeds. I thought that he was trying to sell me Windham peas. He got his info from Byron Seeds. From what I have read, I wanted to try them. If you get a chance, could you check with your supplier? As I said before, Center Seed has 30,000 pounds but he did not seem like he was trying to sell them to me. I know that everyone does not have a drill.

I do not have a drill, I broadcast mine and run over withthe disc straight to cover a bit, single pass. I will see if I can get a hold of supplier. And you are correct about the low tannis, white flowers = low tannin, most of the time. Heck I even munched on the tendrils/ leaves and found them palatable.

contact for my dealer:

Robert Stap 50.7 miles
426 Drexel Drive Pine Bush, NY 12566 (845) 744-5734

I called, left a message. No response.

Not sure if this helps or not, but I planted frostmaster winter peas before and they have a white flower as well. I had to inoculate them, but it wasn't that big of a deal. I didn;t drill them, I think I row planted them like soybeans and then broadcast cereal grains and brassica over them. They did just fine.

I did talk to a knowledgeable fellow at the Seed Center in Ohio. He said that "it was a production issue, not a germination issue". He said that he will have them this year. But he did stress that that they have to be drilled, not broadcast.
Another source has simiar info, on their web page, Center Seeds says no broadcast or aerial seeding.
The fellow at Seed Center said that Frostmaster has to be drilled also.
Still looking for more info, but I am curious about why Lynx or Frostmaster have to be drilled, at least from this source.

I did talk to a knowledgeable fellow at the Seed Center in Ohio. He said that "it was a production issue, not a germination issue". He said that he will have them this year. But he did stress that that they have to be drilled, not broadcast.
Another source has simiar info, on their web page, Center Seeds says no broadcast or aerial seeding.
The fellow at Seed Center said that Frostmaster has to be drilled also.
Still looking for more info, but I am curious about why Lynx or Frostmaster have to be drilled, at least from this source.
That is crap - I went back and looked at my records. I broadcast my frostmasters into a tilled seedbed and packed with my tractor tires. Now they may have done far better being drilled, but they don't HAVE to be. They where not broadcast into un-preped soil either. They are smaller than soybeans and folks grow soybeans via broadcasting into worked soil all the time. This pic was taken the following spring of a mix of frostmasters, wheat, rye and some brassicas as well. I even mixed in some soybeans at the time of planting, but they obviously didn't survive the winter.
Frostmaster.jpg

Yes my deer numbers are low enough even winter peas won't get entirely eaten in a small 3/4 acre plot.

Keep in mind some seed dealers are mostly dealing with production farmers so that is their mindset. They think everyone has a drill and that everyone is focused on maximum yield as possible and the like. Plotters care about that sort of stuff, but not like a production farmer does. I don't see how a drill can be REQUIRED for planting. It's a seed.....yes some need a pretty controlled method of soil coverage while others do not. But as long as that seed isn't too deep or too shallow it has just as much of a chance as any other that I am aware of. A drill may make things far easier and you may get better germination rates that way, but again....it's a seed.

That is how it seems to me. I could not figure out how these 2 seeds were so "special". Where did you get your seed from?

I do not have a drill, I broadcast mine and run over withthe disc straight to cover a bit, single pass. I will see if I can get a hold of supplier. And you are correct about the low tannis, white flowers = low tannin, most of the time. Heck I even munched on the tendrils/ leaves and found them palatable.

contact for my dealer:

Robert Stap 50.7 miles
426 Drexel Drive Pine Bush, NY 12566 (845) 744-5734

I just got a call from Robert Stap. He will check on availability of Lynx peas. He only has a current spring list and they are not listed.
He will also check on germination and planting. I had to post this response, because Mr. Stap did respond and will do some more research. He seems very sincere and professional and will contact me even though I am in Michigan and he said that shipping would be more than the price of seed. He said that his supplier does not handle the midwest.

I want to stress that in my opinion, anyone in the New York area could consider this gentleman as a source. To be continued....

That is how it seems to me. I could not figure out how these 2 seeds were so "special". Where did you get your seed from?
Local guy in Greensburg, IN (Grazing Systems Supply). They have a website, but it's pretty weak - you would be much better of calling them. The guy's name is Clay, we went to high school together. He tends to not have fall seed until much later in the year. He has them for pasture/grazing operations, but he is a deer/habitat guy as well. I asked him for AWP and he only had about half a bag. He mentioned the frostmasters and I bought a bag of those and tried them. I saw no difference in planting than the AWP and soybeans I plant other than peas are smaller than soybeans. I will say the deer will pick thru my plot for the peas first and the only way they survive until spring is because I have other plants in the plot to "hide" them from the deer to some extent. Clay should be able to order whatever you want within reason - it never hurts to ask. I just tend to be running behind and take whatever he tends to have on hand..... With him being here he may or may not be able to get you the seed when you want with you being further north I would assume you may want to start planting before we typically do here.....just a thought.

I have not planted lynx peas because my source couldnt get them in time and I wasnt willing to pay an arm and a leg to have them shipped. I just planted field peas instead the way I do my soybeans. Broadcast on untilled ground and till under. I then broadcast the rye and radishes and pack or drag. They germinated great!!! I am going to try to get my hands on some lynx peas this year and give them a shot. I will be going through a different guy though. The guy I tried to get them from last year didn't seem to want to deal with getting me just a bag or two. I'm guessing they will germinate about the same when planted this way. Time will tell.

I did speak to Clay. He is going to check on the Lynx peas. FWIW, his method of plantingFrostmasters without a drill was disc, broadcast, drag and cultipack. You are correct on timing.

Keep me posted S.T.

I did speak to Clay. He is going to check on the Lynx peas. FWIW, his method of plantingFrostmasters without a drill was disc, broadcast, drag and cultipack. You are correct on timing.
Clay is a pretty straight shooter. He has never done me wrong that I am aware of.....so either he hasn't or he was real sneaky about it .....hahahahaha. If I recall properly he went to college at Purdue for agronomy or some farming crap like that, but he is a deer hunter and food plotter himself. He tolerates my foolishness with trying to find other ways to plant things, or odd ball mix combinations, so he gets it. He can get virtually anything from native grasses to turf grass to forage seed to fall cover crop seed. The only thing I think he doesn't mess with is the large grain seed like corn and soybeans.....but in my area there are lots of places to get those. I hope you find what your looking for and good luck once you do.