Ravin vs 10 Point? What model

if you need a broadhead target that stops hi energy xbows with broad heads , look at Big Shot, they make one to stop all of them and the arrow pulls out very easily. Rinehart will stop them but you need a team of horses to pull the bolt out and when it’s cold you will need to cut it out with a saw. Ive sold both so speaking from experience.
The Big Shot has been a big disappointment for me. My Ravin R500 will partially bury the fletching in it - even at 50 yards. This is with a SEVR broadhead with the screw installed that keeps it from opening or with a target point. It just doesn’t do the job.

I bought a Sever target that stops the bolts just fine, but pulling the bolt is like you described for the Rinehart. I have to put C clamps on the rubber puller to get them out, and even that takes all I can muster. But at least I won’t ruin my fletching.

IMG_3381.jpeg

Last edited:
I bought a Black Hole target made for crossbows. It stops them about 4 inches before the fletching, no matter it be 20-50 yards. But I learned if I take a 2x4 and tap the practice tip back into the back side of the target, I can slide the bolt out without much effort.

I haven’t shot broadheads into it yet. I may try a couple tomorrow, so it’s ready to go when I am ready to hit the stand.

The Big Shot has been a big disappointment for me. My Ravin R500 will partially bury the fletching in it - even at 50 yards. This is with a SEVR broadhead with the screw installed that keeps it from opening or with a target point. It just doesn’t do the job.

I bought a Sever target that stops the bolts just fine, but pulling the bolt is like you described for the Rinehart. I have to put C clamps on the rubber puller to get them out, and even that takes all I can muster. But at least I won’t ruin my fletching.

View attachment 56739
if you have a 500 or a Tenpoint 505 and want Foam you need the TITAN 10XHD which is new this year - those bows have to much kinetic energy for anything else- hopefully someone didnt sell you something different telling you it would do it. attached is a list of what each target stops in regards to speed or energy.

Attachments

• MWS -bigshot lineup - Titan _Tenpoint.pdf
    436.8 KB · Views: 10

View attachment 56739

I mentioned it above but in case you missed it. spray WD40 on a paper towel and coat your bolt before shooting the target. They pull out MUCH easier..

I have another question, just a recap, I bought the Ravin 10x, anyhow the bucks are just starting to move around me, and the 10 day forecast calls for rain, or a rain snow mix pretty much the next week. How does rain affect the crossbow, short term and long term? I don’t plan on sitting in a heavy rain, but if I try to get out in between some showers, but end up getting rained on, just wondering if it’s worth the effort to sit, and if it will damage strings, or cause corrosion in the trigger, and any other damage.

I do have a couple enclosed stands, but they are more set up for rifle, than for bow.

I wondered if during the off season, if you had a press, would it extend the life of the strings if you took the strings off, then put them back on during season?
I told you earlier that I wasn't sure if the Ravin press would do this. Changed my strings a while back and yes in fact the press will allow you to take the strings off and then remove the crossbow from the press.

I have another question, just a recap, I bought the Ravin 10x, anyhow the bucks are just starting to move around me, and the 10 day forecast calls for rain, or a rain snow mix pretty much the next week. How does rain affect the crossbow, short term and long term? I don’t plan on sitting in a heavy rain, but if I try to get out in between some showers, but end up getting rained on, just wondering if it’s worth the effort to sit, and if it will damage strings, or cause corrosion in the trigger, and any other damage.

I do have a couple enclosed stands, but they are more set up for rifle, than for bow.
I've sat in the rain. just dried the bow when I was done.

I wondered how does the point of impact get effected in the rain? Might be a mute point for me, I'm hunting the edge of a cornfield. Real tough to get a shot longer than 25 yards.

Also, these fancy bows worth it? I got a barnett 390 a few years back fro christmas. Shoots dead on at 50 yards. A bit noisy, but not too bad. The only complaint I got is the red dot sight. You ge that fuzzy edge from the illumination, makes aiming a bit of a pain. Somewhat tolerable in low setting. NY is last 2 weeks of bow before rifle season. So, most years I get a buck with the bow before I can use it.

I wondered how does the point of impact get effected in the rain? Might be a mute point for me, I'm hunting the edge of a cornfield. Real tough to get a shot longer than 25 yards.

Also, these fancy bows worth it? I got a barnett 390 a few years back fro christmas. Shoots dead on at 50 yards. A bit noisy, but not too bad. The only complaint I got is the red dot sight. You ge that fuzzy edge from the illumination, makes aiming a bit of a pain. Somewhat tolerable in low setting. NY is last 2 weeks of bow before rifle season. So, most years I get a buck with the bow before I can use it.

I bought the Ravin R10x, it is my first xbow
So no comparison to other bows. But the Ravin is pretty loud as well, but I just figure you aren’t getting 2 shots anyhow. Is it worth it? Probably not, but I did budget for it.

Personally I like my R20 as well as any rifle I own. I just think of it as a short range tack driver. Shame on any critter that gives me a 35 yard or shorter opening. They aren't going home. Unless my home counts.

I have practiced in “hunting rain” and didn’t notice a difference. I’ve not gone beyond 40 yards with rain practice.